Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing issue during gaming.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bawnawgwa

Bawnawgwa

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

Ok so just early January all of the sudden my computer would freeze while I was playing a game. All I could do was hard restart. When it freezes there would just be this zzzzzzzzz noise coming from computer like the sound got stuck.

I am not overheating, during gameplay my CPU would stay between 65-75 C and my GPU is pretty steady at 65 C. 

I believe my drivers are all up to date... This only happens during gaming too. Any other use of my computer (netflix, youtube, other videos, music, etc...) is just fine. Even in full screen I have not had an issue. Originally i thought it had something to do with a janky driver so i switched the games from full screen to windowed. That "seemed" to solve the problem. I had weeks of no problems at all. Then just today a freeze occurred in my windowed game! My event log is showing no message of actual use... just that my computer shut down improperly. I don't get BSOD's or anything, just a freeze. 

I am worried it could be my PSU... but I don't know how to test it. I am not really interested in buying some silly tester somewhere, tearing open my laptop, and trying to test it... 

Here is a speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/I6KSIxZuwDVnPA5MkSR5iIa

Any suggestions would be amazing! I know the hard resets are not good for computer so I am worried about playing games and having this continue. Maybe it is a new driver that is buggy? Who knows... I can't find anything.

EDIT: Just finished the DiskChecker Disk self test tool (the full check one) and had no problems. My numbers all seemed pretty good as well under the SMART information, so I am ruling out overheating and hard disk.

Edited by Bawnawgwa, 09 February 2014 - 04:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

Just an idea, I ran into a similar issue.  The sound driver was in conflict with the video, I found it out by disabling the sound driver.  I ended up just reloading a fresh copy to fix it.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 Bawnawgwa

Bawnawgwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

Ok in my device manager under sound I have:

High Definition Audio Device

High Definition Audio Device

NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (wave extensible) (WDM)

Except I think my internal speakers are like realtek or something like that? Idk where to find those at.

Looks like 2 High Definition Audio Devices are enabled, but not "plugged in." Hmm... But yeah I am still trying to find out how to see my sound card haha

Edited by Bawnawgwa, 09 February 2014 - 09:37 PM.

#4 Bawnawgwa

Bawnawgwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

So is it the High Definition Audio devices I need to disable? Those are the onboard ones I guess... or is it the NVIDIA sound device?

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:00 AM

You can experiment without harm, double click on the device you want disable.  Click on the driver tab then the disable button, you can change it back just as easily.  Most systems show multiple sounf devices.

Phil

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#6 Bawnawgwa

Bawnawgwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

Ok I'll try it. I also rolled back my nvidia driver. I had the 332.21 or whatever the very latest was and now have 331.65. I guess 332.21 was known to cause issues...? I don't know if the one I have is any better though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users