Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing And Using A Second Hardrive With Xp Installed

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:55 PM

My computer died by black screen of death (the monitor is fine i tried it on another computer). Anyway it has Windows XP SP2 on the hardrive as well as 20GB of other stuff. I want to get the stuff off if i can. If i install it how do i use it?

i will get the stuff off. Can i format this drive and use it like a second drive. If i run the computer on it original drive can i access the other drive like you do with C:/, A:/ and D:/?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:47 PM

i just found that i can't use a second hardrive. the computer won't boot. Just says "Varifying DMI Pool Data............."

I just took it off and booted the computer on its original drive, then connected the other one but the computer goes crazy. So i removed it.
Then i tried unplugging the original drive and just plug in the other drive and it booted on that but i couldn't burn any documents off because it sais that D:/ wasn't accessible same with floppy drive. So i have given up hope on saving anything from the drive.

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:36 PM

well i managed to get what i wanted off the hardrive now can i just format it and use it as a second drive?

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:37 AM

well i managed to get what i wanted off the hardrive now can i just format it and use it as a second drive?

Yes
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:46 PM

how do i do so? well i gather i format and connect it.

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:35 AM

On the back of the drive there should be a jumper, you need to change it to slave. Then connect the hard-drive to the middle plug on the ide cable. Windows should be able to do the formatting and partitioning needed, but you can also download a tool from the manufacturers web site which can do it as well.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:04 AM

on the under side i found the words

CS
SLAVE
MASTER

that is on the green part then on the black part beside it where you plug the plug into is the letters CS, SL, MA, it's a 10 pin plug which my PC doesn't have that i can find in amongst the wires. I don't anything on how to change it to slave. I can plug the power cord into it and the long 40 pin plug into it. That's it i'm confused. I need diagrams or visual on this.

#8 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:07 AM

i found a quige http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/ar.../14u6.asp&guid= which helps alot and what i found i ain't gonna poke around in there it sounds complicated for a no nothing about computers internal parts.

#9 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:06 AM

Hey there Izzy,

On the back of the hard drive, there will be the jumper switch that Mr Alpha was talking about. It will basically be a series of 8 pins with a small plastic piece inserted, and will be between the power plug and the IDE plug.
There should be a diagram on your hard drive which says how that plastic piece needs to be in order to change it between Master, Slave and Cable Select. Like in this image:

http://service.maxtor.com/rightnow/images/Quantum_A.jpg

You may need a pair of plyers to get it out, and then again to put it back in the desired way. The reason your computer didn't boot up properly last time is because it likely had two hard drives both set to MASTER, and as such it didn't know which to boot up from (becuase it will boot from the MASTER).
If you set it to SLAVE on a separate IDE ribbon/cable, or CS (CABLE SELECT) on the second connection on the same cable, the Computer will detect the MASTER (your existing HD) and boot from that, and your second hard drive should show up in the explorer.
Post back here if it doesnt show up in the explorer...

Hope that helps

Buzz ;)

Edited by JPHarvey, 19 May 2006 - 12:08 AM.

[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#10 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:52 AM

Well thank you i get what is meant by the thing master, slave thing but i don't don't have anything in there to take out of the master to put into the salve. The computer i want to install this hard drive to well it's hardrive has that thing in it's hardrive. Could get one of thise things to put in this hardrive i want to you as a slave? If i can't then that hardrive is a master only well to be honest i can see it being any if it dosn't have one on the master. Which might be the reason it won't boot on my older PC in the first place.

Just to make the above clearer.

1. Hardrive i want to install as a second hardrive doesn't have that plug thing at all.

2. The hardrive on my computer (the one i want to install the hardrive to) has one of those things in it.

3. Reason that my old computer (2 years) won't boot is because this hardrive hasn't got that plug in it.

I hope you understand what is meant in there.

Oh also where do i put this hardrive there isn't anywhere to firmly place it (screw it in or whatever).

Edited by Izzy, 19 May 2006 - 04:53 AM.

#11 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:40 AM

3. Reason that my old computer (2 years) won't boot is because this hardrive hasn't got that plug in it.

Jumpers are jumpers. You can use one from an old cd-rom drive if you have one laying around.
You can also buy them in small bags.
If you plan on dual boot capability, you'll need to install the OS on both drives.
If you're just going to use the secondary drive as storage, a simple partition and format will suffice.
Sometimes different drives won't play together nicely on the same IDE. If you can't get the system to recognize them using that configuration, I'd recommend you use a newer 80 wire data cable and jumper both drives as CS. The placement on the cable won't matter then either.
I prefer to setup dual internal drives both as masters. 1 on the primary, 1 on the secondary.
It pretty much avoids drive conflicts that way.
The master\slave thing is never written in stone. Much depends on the system itself and you just may have to experiment until you find one that will work.
Some system info would help. :thumbsup:

Oh also where do i put this hardrive there isn't anywhere to firmly place it (screw it in or whatever).

Can't see the case from here. :flowers:
If you don't have a spare drive bay you're just going to have to get creative.
If you have the extra bay and no bracketry, you can make your own, buy a kit, or mod one in using parts from an old system.
Don't be afraid to drill holes were you need them, just don't drill any holes in the drive itself.
If you end up doing any drilling, be absolutely sure you get all the metal chips out.

Edited by HitSquad, 19 May 2006 - 06:54 AM.

#12 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:53 PM

see wha i can do.

#13 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:58 AM

I need to ask this question, because i wanted to use the hardrive as a second one but i can't because it hasn't got that switch thing to salve or whatever. I connected the hardrive instead of the other computer original and booted up the hardrive but it won't let me in windows because it has to be activated but that windows was activated when i installed it in the first place. I can't go online to do it or ring because it doesn't give me the phone number. It is really stupid. So why does it need to be activated?

#14 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:04 AM

Activation is required when the OS sees that the system configuration (HW) has changed significantly.

Frequently asked questions about Microsoft Product Activation

The OS should function for 30 days. The call number depends on your location.
See: How do I activate by phone in the article below:

How to activate Windows XP

need to ask this question, because i wanted to use the hardrive as a second one but i can't because it hasn't got that switch thing to salve or whatever

You can buy them for pennies.
Did you try it on the secondary ide without a jumper?
If the drive is good, I'd be using it. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 20 May 2006 - 07:05 AM.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 02:08 PM

The second IDE cable is usually used for your cd/dvd device which runs much slower than a hard drive and therfore will limit the speed of your hard drive to that of the slowest device on the IDE cable.

Install the slave drive on the middle connection on the IDE cable that is connected to the current master hard drive.

If the diagram that shows you where to place the jumper over the pins on each hard drive is not physically on a label on each hard drive, which it should be, you can go to support at the manufacturers of the drives to see the diagrams. The jumper on your original hard drive may also need to be set to master also because it might have been set to cable select being that it was the only drive originally.

You do not take anything from the original drive (master) to put on the slave drive. Both need their own jumpers (which look like a small plastic or metal piece that connects two of the pins together completing a circuit between them)

Posted Image

The above shows the pins on which you place the jumpers for the particular drive shown - the placement for the jumpers on yours may well differ, but the pins will look exactly the same and be next to the power connection as shown in the diagram.

Edited by Enthusiast, 20 May 2006 - 02:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users