Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Certificate Errors on 80% of sites

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 JoeBreier

JoeBreier

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

This is a refurbished HP with Windows 7 from Tiger Direct. The problem came straight out of the box. I cant access Google, Banking sites etc. All sites I can access from other computers on the same network. Time and date are right. Compatability was set to XP changed it to 7 with the same issue. Any ideas what the problem is or how to repair?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

Please post the exact error message.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

It is possible the install of Windows 7 was messed up. Do you have a Windows 7 disc, that you can use to do a repair of Windows? If it is just Internet Explorer, post which version of IE. Really need more information on the exact error, and if you have tried a reset on Internet Explorer, all updates are installed.

#4 JoeBreier

JoeBreier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

I do have the new windows disc. The problem on IE says, This certificate cannot be verified, Issued By: DO_NOT_TRUST_FiddlerRoot.  On Firefox Invalid signatrue, (Error code:sec_error_bad_signature)On IE when I check the Certification Path they all say This certificate is OK in the certification Status box.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

While I agree with Greg, above, I find myself asking 'How soon out of the box is this ?'.

While you give no indication as to where you live - this is one of the reasons why this information is useful - you say this is a 'refurbished computer' as opposed to 'brand new'. Even so, you have some rights as a purchaser. If this is within the 30 or 90 days warranty that is fairly normal with refurbished equipment, I would take / send it back. Why should you faff with problems that are not of your making and your supplier's responsibility ?

A normal problem with an international web-site like BC is that consumer law varies widely from one country and region to another. Since I live in Scotland, I am reasonably knowledgeable on UK and EU consumer law but have only a vague idea of the details of similar legislation in, for example, the USA, and none at all of the law as it applies in, say, Japan. This is why it is useful to know at least the country you live in !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 JoeBreier

JoeBreier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

Chris, 3 days old in Florida. My inlaws purchased it on line. When I called Tiger Direct for assistance I was told the computer was actually purchased by Joy. I was given their number. When I called I got a message that said In box was full. Im just trying to get it to work so I dont have to deal with the BS of sending it back and starting over.

#7 JoeBreier

JoeBreier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

Thanks all, But the more I play with this this the squirrelier it gets. Sending it back.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:01 PM

What is the time and date on the computer?

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#9 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

I would try the repair.  since you are getting it with IE & FF, sounds like the machine may be infected.  Go through running FRST, then ADW, to see if any issues pop up.  Post the output of minitoolbox also.  Also see the following about the error you are getting.  See if that helps you out.  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5519418/fiddler2-unable-to-generate-certificate

Edited by Greg62702, 09 February 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#10 JoeBreier

JoeBreier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

Puter is 3 days old. Thaks but Im sending it back.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

Please provide the information requested, you may not have to send it back for something that is easily fixable.

#12 JoeBreier

JoeBreier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

I believe I posted all info requested. If not what am I missing?

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

You did not post the speccy output.

Also

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it, and checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

#14 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

I'm with Cryptodan on his first question.  What does your computer's date and time read?  I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen something that simple cause this error while browsing.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:39 AM

Go through running FRST, then ADW, to see if any issues pop up.  

FRST is not a troubleshooting tool, it is a tool designed to be used for malware.  The use of malware tools is not allowed in this forum, as an attempt to see that topics wind up in the proper hands.

See No DDS, HijackThis, or ComboFix logs - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum-167/announcement-45-no-dds-hijackthis-or-combofix-logs-should-be-posted-in-this-forum/.  Since this is the Win 7 forum, we do not engage in the suggested use of tools which pertain to malware situations that are handled within the Malware Removal Logs forum.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users