Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build, no signal to monitor, no usb..fans working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 v____v

v____v

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

Hey everyone. I've received and assembled the parts to my new build, only to see it fail to boot. 

The cpu fan, chassis fan, and gpu fan all spin, the power led lights up, the optical drive works, but there is no signal to the monitor, and the usb ports don't work. 

I disassembled everything again and connected only the cpu, mobo, 1 stick of ram, and gpu - same problem. 

Here is what I can confirm:

-ram is properly seated, notches clicked in. 

-mobo standoffs screwed in

-no integrated graphics on either the mobo or cpu but am using a dedicated pci-e gpu that is properly seated and powered

-known good monitor plugged directly into gpu

-psu 24pin connector, atx12v cpu power, fan power, usb header, pwr switches, all plugged in

-cpu and cpu fan properly installed

-there is no beeping from the system because the mobo doesn't come with a system speaker or beep codes. 

-power plugged into the wall. also tested my psu with an older pc and it was able to boot

-mobo came with latest bio version but i have since reset the cmos during troubleshooting by shorting with jumper and removing the battery

Here are the parts I'm working with:

CPU:  Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($176.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard:  ASRock H77M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory:  Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($86.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($109.99 @ Staples) 
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card  ($249.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $925.18
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-09 15:13 EST-0500)

Anyone know what the most likely problem is? Any help would be immensely appreciated. I was having a lot of fun with my first build until now, this is just driving me nuts, and I'd rather not have to go through rma hell more than necessary. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

I don't see the CPU specifically listed on the motherboard supported CPU list.  If it's not listed, it's generally not safe to assume it will work.  In fact it's pretty likely it won't.

EDIT The i5-3450 or i5-3450S are both on the list and should be a similar price to the CPU you bought if you can find them.  Perhaps you could swap for one of those?  Alternatively a different motherboard like the Z77E-ITX has the CPU you have in the support list in later bios versions (or the cheaper B75M-ITX).

EDIT EDIT Any reason for not going for a Haswell (Socket 1150) processor on a new build now?  They are a bit quicker and readily available.  These Ivy Bridge chips seem to be in quite short supply...

Edited by jonuk76, 09 February 2014 - 04:28 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 v____v

v____v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

It was listed under compatible boards on intel's page for i5 3350p so I thought it was safe to buy: http://processormatch.intel.com/MotherBoards/CompatibleBoards?componentName=i5-3350P

I went with the 3350p because of its power efficiency and then picked the asrock mobo because it was on sale.  

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,094 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

Interesting.  Well either Asrock's site is wrong or Intel's is.  Perhaps a call to the retailer or Asrock technical support will clarify.  Here's an alternative search on Asrock's site for boards that support that specific CPU - http://www.asrock.com/support/cpu.asp?s=1155&u=509  The H77M-ITX doesn't appear on it, unfortunately.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,094 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

One other thought.  Do you have access to a basic PCIe graphics card you can try (perhaps from an old PC?).

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 v____v

v____v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

Mystery solved! I managed to get a hold of some known good parts: psu, gpu, and ram. I figured I had a dead cpu but to my surprise it booted into the uefi screen, so I swapped my own parts back in one by one until it stopped booting. Turns out the Corsair Vengeance sticks are causing the problem. 

Lesson learned - next time I will definitely start with a breadboarded bare minimum set up and add on from there so I don't end up with surprises trying to power up a fully loaded case. 

Thanks for all of your time :)

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,094 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

Cool, well it's good to know what's causing it :smash:   I've used Corsair Vengeance Pro stuff with a i5 Haswell and it worked fine.  I wouldn't have guessed that would caused the issue really as their quality is quite good normally.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users