Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall Not Working. NOT A MALWARE ISSUE!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

I got a Gateway DX4200 Series with 5 GB RAM and a AMD Phenom 9150e 64-Bit Quad Core Processor from my cousin like 4 years ago. But Windows Firewall NEVER worked when I got it. It's not malware or a pressing issue as the computer doesn't have internet. But is there any way to fix it, it is just really annoying? I have tried to reinstall it with the Windows Defender download. But it says "Windows Vista SP2 comes with Windows Defender. You don't need to install this software.". As I said this is not a pressing matter so take your time. :thumbup2:

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

You may have another active firewall. Several security suites include a firewall which will shut down Windows Firewall while

they are active.

If you are sure there is no third party firewall running, use this Windows Repair (All In One) Download

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

I don't have a firewall, because that computer never had internet. It's just really annoying to have it keep saying that I am not protected when IT DOESN'T FREAKING WORK!

Edited by AlexSmithFanning, 09 February 2014 - 06:00 PM.

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

You can download the portable version Windows Repair or download the one I linked to to a flash drive or

cd and transfer it to the comp without the firewall if you don't want to use it online.

If you just want to turn off the alerts:  Turn off Security Center alerts

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:25 PM

Windows Firewall Service Fails to start – Introduction
Windows Firewall Service Fails to start – Dependencies
Can't turn on the Windows Vista Firewall in the Security Center
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018