Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup setting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 butundi

butundi

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

My PC-configuration: Medion MD8816, OS=Windows 8.1,

Away the Cmd 'msconfig' you can configure the 'System Configuration'.

In the General Tab (thet Startup selection) you can chose between following options:

- Normal startup

- Diagnostic startup

- Selectieve startup

The 'Selectieve startup' is in my configuration the selected option.

I tried to fix the  'normal startup', as default, but in vain.

When i change to normal start en then reboot,  nothing is modified.

How do i have to save my choice?

Can you help me to do this job, please?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

Msconfig iS only to be used for troubleshooting. It needs to stay at Normal.

#3 butundi

butundi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

Thank You for your answer! 

I know that it must be Normal startup, but now it isn't (it is 'selectieve startup'); I tried to change and it is OK till I restart my computer

then the system restart and change back to 'selectieve startup'.

Some days ago i set 'selectieve startup' by means of  'msconfig' because i have to work with a heavy video program (Pinnacle Studio 17).

In the future I'll work frequently with this program and i would change this parameter every time.

Please, Can you tell me wich is the normal way to do?

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

Lets start from the beginning.  What is the manufacturer & model of the computer?  How much RAM is in it?  What is the model of the harddrive?  For all of this information, you would need to use Speccy, to show what mfg & type of RAM, hard drive info, etc..

#5 butundi

butundi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:36 AM

I gave you only the manufacturer and OS because i thought the problem regarding only OS.

Here are my configuration:

Summary
Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 3350P @ 3.10GHz 28 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 774MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
MEDION MS-7797 (SOCKET 0) 28 °C
Graphics
Storage
232GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB (SSD) 27 °C
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 (SATA) 30 °C

for more details --> see file in annex

Attached Files

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:23 AM

I missed the model & mfg at the beginning sorry.  We ask for installed RAM & Hard drive, due to most like me, swap those two items out when they get the unit.  With you having the SSD as first boot device, you should be fine.  Same with the CPU & RAM installed.

#7 butundi

butundi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

Mr Greg,

i tried to swap the HD and SSD, but unchanged situation.

My originally configuration is with a HD and 4GB RAM.

You have to know that i made a Copy Disk of my HD to SSD en then I would make of HD a fixed Data disk without OS and when I wanted copy (disk) the Data to the HD the pgm 'Acronis True Image' asked to me if i wanted preserve the UEFI system and i answered 'Yes' (I was/am not sure if UEFI must be existing also in a data disk)

I remember that when i used last the pgm 'Acronis True Image' i saw that (before the boot partition (C:) on SSD) there were not only 3 system partitions, but 6 on my system, exact 2x the original situation on the HD. 

I think that my actual UEFI has partitions for 2 boot systems but it finds alone 1 Boot partition.

This is probably the cause!

When i do a consulting by 'Disk Management' with Win8 I see on mij disk0 (ssd) only 3 partitions before the partition C: and 3 for Disk1 before the Data partions.

I presume have to delete the 3 system partitions on Disk1 (Hd) so is UEFI not more in confusion.

Can you confirm my assumption?

If Yes, can I do it with Win8? How? Others I can do it with 'EasusUS Partition Magic'!

thank you for your care.

#8 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

I only use Clonezilla for cloning & restoring.  You can make a Pendrive image of Clonezilla at http://tuxboot.org/  I use the amd64 image of Clonezilla, and load to RAM, then save the images for both of our laptops to a Lenovo ix2-4 NAS that we have on our LAN.

#9 butundi

butundi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

Mr. Greg,

do you have een answer voor following questions in the last paragraph written on 10 february?:

I presume have to delete the 3 system partitions on Disk1 (Hd) so is UEFI not more in confusion.

Can you confirm my assumption?

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users