Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU Issue (Referred by W7 Mod)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 seven21

seven21

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

Hi guys.  I was just referred here from the Windows 7 forum where I was trying to diagnose a High CPU Usage issue that I thought might be related to Flash.  During the interaction with my W7 Mod, he identified some potential hardware issues that might be the cause.  Specifically, Speccy returned a "warning" status and there was also a controller error noted.

He then had me run SeaTools.  The laptop went into "thermal shutdown" about 75% of the way through the scan.  I rigged a cooling platform and the second time it completed successfully.  The message at the end read "Read Scan PASSED".  Here is a screenshot of the final results:  http://i.imgur.com/BB958BY.jpg

That entire interaction can be found here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/523569/high-cpu-issue-with-flash/

Also worth noting... I started out in the Malware forum, but they gave me an "all clear" and referred my to the W7 forum, so I'm confident that this is not a virus-related issue.

I'd really appreciate any help you can provide to resolve this frustrating issue (which has been going on for months).

Thanks,

-- seven21

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

Open the Task Manager and click on the Performance tab, then click on Open Resource Monitor and see what is using the most system resources.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 seven21

seven21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

Hi dc3.  Here are screenshots of the Process Explorer results I experienced with each browser:  Firefox   Chrome   Explorer

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

There is a reason for asking people to give make and model info for computers they are having problems with - it was only after I had trundled through your Win 7 post, noticed that Louis had asked you for a speccy report and looked at the speccy report that I learned you have an HP Notebook !

You said you had a thermal shutdown while doing the first run of the hard drive test. This is always worrying. Have you had a look for accumulations of dirt and dust inside your netbook, particularly around the fan ?  This is worth doing. If their is dirt and dust, then a can of compressed air and a soft small paintbrush are great tools for cleaning off the fan and the heatsink fins. Just use a piece of wire or a toothpick or similar to stop the fan from spinning while you airspray it.

The screenshots you posted are fine as far as they go, but each of them is only partial because the full screen extends below the bottom of you display screen. the only thing I noticed in what you have shown is in the chrome shot, where SQL seems to be taking up 600+ Mb of RAM

Chris Cosgrove

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

Personally I have a hunch it's likely to be that for some reason Flash is not able to use the hardware acceleration features on your GPU, with the particular content you are viewing.  The work is instead being done by the CPU.  Is the video skipping and unwatchable, or is it just the high CPU use that is the problem?

I have a similar issue with an Acer Revo (an Nvidia Ion/Intel Atom based "Nettop").  In my case some sites videos work absolutely fine (like Youtube) but some others are absolutely useless as the slow Atom processor is not able to decode video fast enough.  CPU use is high, and the video drops to an unwatchable 10-15 frames per second.  This same Nettop plays 1080p h.264 encoded MP4 videos just fine (through hardware acceleration) without a hint of frame skipping.  On another PC I have with an AMD graphics accelerator, everything including Flash seems to work just fine, with low CPU usage.  I would love to get to the bottom of it, but never have.  Have installed latest display drivers and all that, removed and re-installed Flash related plugins, but it hasn't helped.

I really don't like Flash and if it were not for the fact that a lot of sites still need it, I would get rid of it today...

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

Double click on the download and choose to run the program.

A screen similar to the one below will open, click any key to run the program.

securitycheck_zpscfb86945.png

When the scan is finished you will have a log, copy and then paste your log in your next post.

Edited by dc3, 10 February 2014 - 10:42 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 seven21

seven21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

dc3:  Thanks.  I am running the scan now and will post the results shortly.

jonuk76:  Sorry to hear that.  The whole system becomes unusable in my case (100% CPU usage) and I have to restart the machine.  I tried turning off “Enable Hardware Acceleration” in both Flash and in the browser settings but that didn't help at all.  I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Flash a few times without any luck.  Extremely frustrating.

#8 seven21

seven21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

Hi dc3.  Here are the results...

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.79  
 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is enabled)  
 Internet Explorer 11  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
Norton Internet Security   
 WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
  Adobe Flash Player 12.0.0.43 Flash Player out of Date!  
 Adobe Reader XI  
 Mozilla Firefox (26.0)
 Google Chrome 32.0.1700.102  
 Google Chrome 32.0.1700.107  
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
 Microsoft Small Business Business Contact Manager BcmSqlStartupSvc.exe  
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 1%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:43 AM

Can you install HWMonitor and post 3 results on : 30 minutes of uptime, 2 hours and with either browser open? This would determine if there is thermal issues when laptop is loading some items and on idle.

Tekken

#10 seven21

seven21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

Hi jhayz.  I'm not completely sure I understand... Here is how I am interperating your request - is the following correct?...

Result 1:  Start up computer, run HWMonitor, wait 30 minutes, post those results

Result 2:  Let the computer run for another 90 minutes and post those results

Result 3:  Now that it's been 2 hours, open a browser and post those results

if not, please clarify.  Apologies if I'm being dense here.

Thanks,

-- seven21

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

Yes post 3 results to check for possible thermal events during high cpu usage. Use the Windows snipping tool to capture the image and upload it http://imgur.com/ a sample image shown below.

9hj7mjg.jpg

Tekken

#12 seven21

seven21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

Ok, I won't be able to get to this until tomorrow night. Thanks.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

You can post the snipping tool image in your post, you don't need to use a host website to accomplish this.  Instructions for using the snipping tool and posting the image are below.

Please use the Snipping Tool to copy the image, you can find this tool in Accessories under All Programs.   After you have the image you will want to go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name and click on save .

Using the Snipping Tool to copy an image. 

To open the Snipping tool click on the Start orb, then type snipping tool in the search box.  Snipping Tool will appear above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.  

Before you open the Snipping Tool have the image you want to copy one the destop, then open the Snipping Tool.

A small white cross (+) will appear on the screen, move this to the lower left corner of the image you want to copy, press and hold the mouse and slowly move it to the right and upwards.  You will see a red rectangle form around the image, when you have the image isolated that you want, release the mouse.  

After you have the image you will go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name then click on Save.    

You can post this image in your next post.  Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the Snipping Tool, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png

Edited by dc3, 12 February 2014 - 09:29 AM.

#14 seven21

seven21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:24 PM

Sorry for the delay.  Here are the 4 results:

1.  At startup:  http://i.imgur.com/lEKf8vI.jpg

2.  After 30 minutes:  http://i.imgur.com/oIpYuHD.jpg

3.  After 2 hours:  http://i.imgur.com/KE7Ctiz.jpg

4.  After 2 hours + Triggered High CPU (~95%):  http://i.imgur.com/4ZQLhEW.jpg

-- seven21

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

Ok, comparing the previous images of all browsers using erratic mid-high cpu usage to the temperature seems to be triggered by the hard drive throttling and delay by input/output or access and reading due to flag attribute namely high reallocation event count, report uncorrectable errors and reallocated sectors count results on speccy report not a thermal events or dust bunnies internally or dry thermal paste on the processor but does not necessarily means it should be ignored. I would start backing up your data then if possible clone the drive with the same or higher capacity using free macrium. 

05 Reallocated Sectors Count: 094 (094) Data 0002E20364
C4 Reallocation Event Count: 089 (089) Data 0000000380
BB Reported Uncorrectable Errors: 100 (100) Data 00FF4A01CD

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users