Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to switch back and forth between hdmi and vga?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mefergit

mefergit

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

My desktop has inputs for both HDMI and VGA. I want to connect my tv (for watching movies-HDMI) and a separate vga monitor for regular computer work. Is there a way to "switch" between these two? Now I have to unplug the HDMI connection and connect the VGA, and vice versa. Is there a switch box, etc, I might use? Or is there a way to have them both connected to computer and switch thru the computer?? Very confused...Appreciate any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

By using the software that is installed for your Graphics adapter. Suggest you read the documentation on your adapter and the software for it.

#3 mefergit

mefergit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

Where would I find that info? On the documents from the manufacturer of the computer? Online? Are you saying there is a way to leave them both "plugged in" and have ability to switch back and forth? Appreciate your assistance!

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

It is a standard W7 component!  Right click the screen click graphics options, then click output to, fiddle with it I swap output with a few clicks.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

Where would I find that info? On the documents from the manufacturer of the computer? Online? Are you saying there is a way to leave them both "plugged in" and have ability to switch back and forth? Appreciate your assistance!

Yes, it would be on the Graphics chipset manufacturer's website.  It does help to know what GPU you have.  Is it a Nvidia or AMD.

#6 mefergit

mefergit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

To Old Phil...when I right click the the screen i do not get a graphics option option. If i then click on resolution, then I see and "extend" option for monitors. If i do that, then how do I switch between them? Kind of a novice here, guess I need a step by step approach...please!

As i said I want to keep tv (hdmi) and monitor (vga) both plugged into desktop,and just be able to switch between them.

The tv input(hdmi) to watch movies through computer, or monitor(vga) to do basic work on computer. Either/or option so to speak

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

Sorry I have all Intel chip sets, not knowing what yours shows I can't advise.  I did say fiddle with it you will figure it out, I can merge or do desk top on either screen.  A tip to avoid momentary panic if you leave it in the second monitor mode during shut down some times it will black screen.  Simply reboot turning off the second screen it reverts to your normal screen.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

I'd say using the Extend option is probably the easiest way.  Then use the screen resolution option you see when you right click a blank space on the desktop and use the Make this my main display check box to make it your active screen.

One problem I see is that when you go off one edge of the screen the cursor will flow over to the other screen.

Personally I'm not real clear on if this will work for you as I do not understand why having something on both screens would be an issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users