Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can I expand my windows vista 32 bit PC beyond 4GB memory?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 greatdeals_007

greatdeals_007

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

I have an HP a6109n PC that is currently running Vista 32-bit 4GB of memory now.  I heard there is a 4GB limit and wondering

if it would help to expand the memory, how to do it with Vista 32-bit and if i will see any noticeable difference?

HP a6109n specs

Maximum allowed       8 GB (4 x 2 GB) (64-bit OS)
                                  4 GB* (4 x 1 GB) (32-bit OS)

Speed supported PC2-5300 MB/sec Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

Well...you can install more RAM if that makes your day...but the 4GB limit is the max ANY 32-bit Windows version will recognize/employ.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

A 32-bit Windows operating system has a Address Space which is 4GB in size.  This space has other memory allocations other than RAM.  Other critical functions include the system BIOS, motherboard resources, and memory mapped for I/O, PCI, PCI-E, and other PCI devices (cards).  Because of this a 32-bit operating system typically will only recognize between 3.3GB and 3.5GB of RAM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 greatdeals_007

greatdeals_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

so if it's a OS limitation then what if I dual boot to say windows 7, 8 or vista 64 bit?  would I be able to realize the benefits of 8GB+ then?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

Yes.

As one who has 8GB installed...I really fail to see the benefits of 8 versus 4 for what I do.  Statistically, the system may run a bit better but not to the extent that I can detect it.

I suggest that you do some research on RAM utilization before making a decision that increased RAM will be a benefit to you.

As a start...Who Needs 8GB? .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 February 2014 - 04:59 PM.

#6 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

What are you using it for? If you do a lot of RAM intensive things then that MIGHT be the way to go. Gaming you need better graphics card. Videos you need better CPU (And will Windows 7/8 64-bit even run on a 32-bit CPU?). Consider this before doing anything.

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users