Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL/driver BSODs - XP SP3

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cojackol

Cojackol

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

Hi, after months of putting up with BSODs and other problems on my ancient laptop running Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 3), I definitely and desperately need to do something about it now.  For a while I've had BSODS related to IRQL_NOT_OR_LESS_EQUAL, my nVIDIA drivers (which a reformat seems to have fixed), hal.dll, among other things.  I tried reformating a month or two ago, but shortly thereafter I began getting BSODs again apparently with some of the same causes, and a new one as of last night (atapi.sys IDE/ATAPI Port Driver) while I was asleep and wasn't even touching the computer.  In the past, it was very often ntkrnlpa.exe that caused my IRQL crashes, but the last three BSODs were caused by different things.  I went three weeks without crashing, but I suddenly had two BSODs last night, which concerns me.  I've tried searching for solutions, but it seems that these problems can have all sorts of causes and solutions... I thought it would be best to seek catered advice rather than randomly trying fixes on my own, so I can avoid botching something horribly.

A few things I've done:

- Tested with memtest86 a while ago, before and after reformatting about a month or two ago, it found no problems after a couple passes.
- Scanned with MBAM the other day and ridded myself of some adware, but I didn't find anything really malicious, further scans turn up nothing.
- Scanned with ESET Online Scanner and found a suspicious Google Toolbar program, but I didn't have any options to quarantine it or anything.  I'd have to run the scan over to remove it, which I could and probably will do, but I'm sure it has nothing to do with my major problems.
- Scanned with TDSSKiller; it found something "suspicious" after scanning called Device/Harddisk0/DR0 ( TDSS File System ), I didn't do anything to it because I've seen warnings against taking actions without specific instructions (with good reason too, because I've found more than one person who couldn't boot after deleting that entry/file).

A few things that might be important?:

- A few weeks ago, I put the laptop on standby.  When I came back hours later, it was turned off as if it was unplugged from the adapter (the LED clock was off).  It took two boots to get it to turn on (I've had a nightmarish problem with another one of these same laptops not booting because of the RAM).  I've been terrified of putting it to sleep or even restarting for weeks.  The clock LEDs have never come back on even after being forced to boot it the other day.
- One of my USB ports seems to have failed.  For a while it seemed like I was getting BSODs a lot while trying to use that port.  It seemed to have stopped after I stopped using that port, but I'm receiving BSODs again now.
- My USB mouse has been disconnecting and connecting frequently lately, I'll have to try it on another computer to see if that port is failing or just the mouse... it seems like most of my problems have to do with driver errors, so I imagine it could have something to do with the port?  I've never seen any conflicts/errors/problems in the Device Manager though.
- This laptop is almost 9 years old, it has -never- had any driver updates (I wish I was smarter when choosing a company to buy from, because the support is completely nonexistent).  I feel very uncomfortable messing with drivers, especially 3rd party ones.  It seems like most, if not all, of my problems stem from driver issues.
- I'm pretty sure when I reformatted a while ago, that the process halted at some point. I think it was during Windows XP installation.  I don't know if this suggests a deeper issue (such as on the BIOS level?).

- Every time I close the lid and reopen it, I'm prompted to install drivers for a built-in camera.  I don't wish to install or use the camera, and I can't figure out any way for it to stop prompting me. I've never had it insist on installing it after reformatting before.

I have the TDSSKiller log and my BSOD minidumps, but MBAM and ESET's scanner didn't save any logs.  I would have more logs but I forgot to exlude deleting them when running CCleaner a few times.  I'm really sorry that this post is so long, but I wanted to provide as much information as possible in hopes of getting help.  Please, if there's anyone willing to help, should I attach my logs as files or paste them into a code tag, or directly into the thread?

Edited by hamluis, 12 February 2014 - 06:35 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:20 AM

That you found a suspicious TDSS file is cause for concern... and that the problem persists after re-installation.

the fact that the machine is 9 years old is, well... surprising. But not necessarily an issue.

please follow this guide from step 6, and repost, including a link to this post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users