Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pci Video Card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Steve E

Steve E

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:03 PM

I've got this old EMachine that I would like to upgrade a bit and give it to a young friend of mine. It is a 1.3 Celeron CPU. I upgraded the RAM to 512 and I need to install a PCI Video card. This MB has on-board video of 1mb. I purchased a XFX 64mb MX 4000 PCI card on Ebay. I installed the card and booted the system using the old on-board video. Windows came up and "New Hardware Found" I inserted the CD and everything went smooth. I shut down the system and hooked the monitor up to the new PCI card. Windows boots, I see the XP Pro logo and then the screen goes black but, that is as far as it goes. Windows boots all the way cuz I can hear the music, but, with a black screen.
Am I doing something wrong or is this ebay board shot.

Oh I almost forgot, In the BIOS there are only 2 options for video, PCI or AGP. I have the BIOS set on PCI. There is also no setting in the BIOS to disable the on-board video. Not that I could find.

THanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:09 AM

Hi Steve.
What model Emachine is this?
If it's an oldie, many times the on-board video could only be disabled via a mainboard jumper.
Take a look on the board for any pins labeled VGA, Video, etc.
You may want to first try booting in safe mode though. If you get a screen, check device manager for conflicts. You may be able to get by just disabling the onboard display adapter via a right click menu from there as well. Check msconfig for any apps that may be related to the original on board video and disable if found too.

#3 Steve E

Steve E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:16 PM

Hi Steve.
What model Emachine is this?
If it's an oldie, many times the on-board video could only be disabled via a mainboard jumper.
Take a look on the board for any pins labeled VGA, Video, etc.
You may want to first try booting in safe mode though. If you get a screen, check device manager for conflicts. You may be able to get by just disabling the onboard display adapter via a right click menu from there as well. Check msconfig for any apps that may be related to the original on board video and disable if found too.

I Got It!! Thanks, I booted in safe mode, installed the drivers and disabled the onboard in the device manager. Many Thanks!!!

Steve

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:47 AM

Your Welcome.
BTW, mighty nice of you to do an upgrade on a system you're just giving away. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users