Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Problems With This?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

This is an invitation for input.This is a home network consisting of two desktop computers with windows 7 O/S that are hard wired to a D-Link DIR-826 wireless Cloud Router 2000. There are also 3 laptops with windows 8 O/S operating off of the wireless router. All five of the computers are never operating at the same time. Usually, there is one that might be operating on a steady basis and that will be the main computer which is the #1 computer on the router. In the near future, after I feel that the system is working OK, I will install the printer which is a Dell V515w wireless printer. As a novice computer person I would like to know if anybody can predict any problems that I might encounter. One thing I would like to know for sure and that is; The two hard wired computers are about 6 ft. apart and the router is situated between them. Three of the laptops are in different rooms in the house with the furthest one being about 40 feet away with two walls between and although the other two are closer, they will also have two walls between. Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:17 PM

You shouldnt have any issues with the wireless router and your wireless printer. Just place your wireless printer as close to the wireless router as possible.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

I agree with Cryptodan that you shouldn't have any problems getting all of this equipment to connect, but there are a couple of minor points to be aware of.

First of all, your two hard wired computers are always going to show the fastest connections, just because they are wired. And the one in the room 40 feet away is going to show the slowest, partly because of the distance and partly because of the walls. The effect of the walls depends on their construction !  Stud and partition you can virtually ignore, re-inforced concrete is like a stop sign - it's the steel in it.

Secondly, regardless of the structure of the building, you have an essentially fixed broadband 'supply' - your download bandwidth. And this is divided between all the active computers on the network. This doesn't matter too much if all they are being used for is e-mails, browsing and such like because their use of the connection for these purposes isn't continuous. But, if one of them is being used to stream a film, for example, and then a second user tries to stream a second film then, unless you have a fairly fast connection, they will impact on each other and you will find the amount of bufferiing taking place soaring.

And your wireless printer shouldn't cause any problems either. You will need the driver software installed on each computer on the network and just make sure the printer is switched on and its wi-fi link is active when you try to connect the other computers. Don't laugh - I tried to connect a laptop to a printer in another room once and totally forgot to even switch the printer on ! Fail !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

Thanks to my colleagues for their replies.

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

Using a wireless printer on your network would not be a problem.  Other then having to get up and turn it on when you need it.  We have a HP Officejet 4500 series, that we may use just once a month for a couple of pages.  Majority of the time it is turned off.  When we need it, we just go into the bedroom that it is in, and turn it on.

I have it connecting to the network through a Trendnet TEW-638apb Access Point, due to it does not like to connect through our Wireless-N access point.   That is really the only problem you may run into, is the printer may only work with a Wireless b or G A/P, not a Wireless-N or AC A/P.

I have two laptops running Windows 8.1 64-bit Pro, two tablets (iPad 4th gen, Google Nexus 7 2nd gen), three smartphones (2 iPhone 5's, 1 Samsung Galaxy S4 Active) on our network.  All seven devices have no issues connecting to the printer or Lenovo ix2-4 NAS that I have, connected through our network, that is managed by a TP-Link TL-R600VPN Router.

Everything in my house is wireless, with the exception of three a/v devices.  No issues with using a Wireless printer on my network.  Even if I had a wired printer, still would not have any issues with the printer.

Edited by Greg62702, 09 February 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

The officejet I have turns off and supports Wake LAN, so when it receives a print signal it is turned on to print.

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

The officejet I have turns off and supports Wake LAN, so when it receives a print signal it is turned on to print.

Mine too, but since we rarely use our's, it is easier to just shut it down when not using, then leaving it in sleep mode 24/7.  The last time we used it in over three months, was about two weeks ago, so that my son could print something off for his notes, that he was going to use for his students at the church.

Otherwise it is just a dust gather in our household.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users