Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Will Not Turn On After Move

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zxiomoixz

zxiomoixz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

Alright..so here it goes.

To start off, I would just like to say that I have been building computers since I was 14. I am now 25. I'm no genius, however, I know more than the average person my age about computers. I've built many computers for friends, troubleshooted hardware/software issues and I've always been able to come up with a solution. I have a few friends that I went to high school and ITT Tech with, so when I get stumped I usually go to them to ask for help. This time..well, it just makes no sense at all.

My roommate and I got a new apartment and had to move all of our stuff to the new place..naturally. I made sure to place his computer so that it would have minimal contact with other items and wouldn't budge from where it was. When we got all of our stuff into the new place and he setup his computer, it didn't turn on. No fans, no lights, no noise, nothing. Unfortunately his mobo doesn't have a power indicator and I don't have a mobo tester so we weren't able to test the mobo.

I began to troubleshoot like I always do. Thinking I'd get this figured out in less than an hour or so. It's been 11 days since this happened, and I have tried something new everyday since then and we still can not figure this out. 

So first I figured, mobo or power supply. I took a paperclip and did the ghetto power supply test (which from experience even if the power supply turns on, doesn't always mean that it still works properly) and the power supply fan began to spin as did the fan that was connected to one of the molex connectors. So just to doublecheck, I took the power supply out of my computer and put it into his. Nothing.

Then I was thinking; since his case is one of my dad's old ones from like 6 or more years ago, maybe somehow the case wiring is jacked, and the power button on the front is not working as it should. So I connected the leads from my case to his mobo with my power supply connected. Nothing.

At that point, the only conclusion I could come to was that his mobo fried or something happened during the move to make it inoperable. So we ordered a new mobo on newegg. Got it a few days later, took his old mobo out, put the new one in, triple-checked that everything was plugged in where it needed to be, and pressed that darn power button. Nothing.

Now, knowing that my processor, RAM, and power supply are all in working order, and also that his mobo will accept my processor, I began the extremely tedious process of dis-assembling my computer to take out my processor and insert it into his mobo (the brand new one) to see if that would resolve the issue. I basically had to take 2 computers apart completely and put one back together completely, just to press a power button to see if it would work. Guess what? 3 hours later, when I was done I pressed that power button...NOTHING!

For the hell of it, I took all of his RAM out, and put a single stick of my RAM (also accepted in his mobo) to try that. Nothing as usual.

So we basically built a whole new Frankenstein and he has no life. I'm super-duper stumped guys. I've never encountered anything like this before. It just doesn't make sense.

We are in a band, and my roommate's computer is what we use to do all of our recording with. We need this to work. He also records other bands/artists for $ so he's pretty pissed as well.

If someone could help us figure this out, we would be eternally grateful. Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:53 PM

Reassemble the PC outside the case, and see if it powers up. Your case could have a slight bend in it causing a short.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:25 PM

Hello, I've been in the electronics repair field for quite a number of years now.

What I am seeing here is a potential power switch issue. If I had a better idea of what the case brand name is or what the motherboard in question is, I might be able to help you a little bit more accurately.

I realize that most computer cases are generic types, I have worked on many computer towers in my lifetime and have seen many ways that the power switch is designed on a circuit board along with other things such as LEDs. The power up switch could be part of a ribbon wire harness or simply just two wires with no set wire code that has to be followed wired directly to the switch. The later is easier to work on, where ribbon wire types are a bit more complicated because you have to isolate the wires that only apply to the power switch.

Having a VOM multimeter is your best bet right now, you can use the ohms setting or continuity setting to test the power switch's response. The meter should respond each time the power switch is pushed if you have the red and black probes on either side of the switch, which by default is an open circuit.

Now, if you can tell me the motherboard make and model number, I can look at your motherboard map on the manufacture's website and have an idea of what I am helping you with here.

Any pictures you can post of your setup will help me as well, especially if you show images of your computer case in the front panel section on the inside in the general area where the power switch is located.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 zxiomoixz

zxiomoixz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:06 AM

Reassemble the PC outside the case, and see if it powers up. Your case could have a slight bend in it causing a short.

Yes! Thank you so much! It's funny, right before I decided to post this, I had a small thought of doing this very same thing..I just figured making a new topic would take less time then messing with the computer again since I've already spent close to 10 hours on this project. My roommate is extremely happy, and we might just keep the new mobo and build a Frankenstein media center with some other parts we have laying around. Thank you cryptodan, I knew it had to be something small and stupid, like the sliding tray was bent and touching the back of the motherboard once it got screwed in. 

Note to self:

When building computers, don't buy the cheapest case...or use an old one that's been moved around 20 times and is made of super thin steel.

I can not begin to thank you enough. I might have figured it out eventually, but you saved me a ton of time, which I am eternally grateful for!

Thanks again!

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:16 PM

You are welcome, and happy shopping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users