Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Issues.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IllusionaryInnocence

IllusionaryInnocence

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

To be specific, my problem is thus. I am running Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 on my computer. However the other night I had a little issue that resulted in Windows Update not seeing me, the only account, as the system admin and rendered me unable to change settings (somehow triggered by running a Vulnerability Scan) cause it claimed that it was managed by the systems admin. As a result I was forced to System Restore to about 5-6 days ago, and ended up having to reinstall Chrome and later my Anti-Virus to get it to work correctly. This issue occurs randomly, however after reinstalling my AV, I went to my AppData folder cause I wondered if reinstalling Kaspersky would have fixed the issue where Explorer.EXE would crash and reboot with a faulting module of Shell32.dll in the error report. I was able to look around... one session before trying again resulted in the problem occurring once more. However Explorer.EXE only crashed when i tried to enter the AppData folder luckily. It does not happen in safe mode. And to fix the issue with the Windows Update, I have had to system restore to before the action that did the thing that caused Windows Update to not recognise me as the system admin. 

Despite scanning with Malware Bytes, Rkill, TDSSKiller and Kaspersky, I have found no malware, however I am still suspicious since this stuff keeps happening. I would rather not have to reinstall the entire OS. To be specific my OS is Windows 8 Pro (not Windows 8.1. I have not upgraded to it for fears that it will render me unable to use my computer or play the games I have installed upon it).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:54 PM

Hello -

First - Please note that unless you have other major problems, there is no need to install Google Chrome as your primary browser. It would be more suited as a Secondary browser only -

Please reset your main browser back to Internet Explorer, and repost your problem -

#3 IllusionaryInnocence

IllusionaryInnocence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:00 AM

Except the problem has nothing to do with Internet Explorer. Nor should what I use for a browser matter in a problem that actually has nothing to do with Internet Explorer. 
My problem is that...
When I enter the AppData folder via Windows Explorer, the root AppData folder. Not Local, Roaming or anything like that. AppData. Windows Explorer crashes, along with the taskbar and restarts, and looking in the technical descriptor for the event in the Action Centre, it says 'faulting module: Shell32.dll'.

Further more, my secondary problem, albeit is rare. Is sometimes, Action Centre will tell me there is an issue with the PC, specifically the Windows Update settings. Suddenly I have no control over them despite being the only account on the computer (And the Admin at that), because the settings are 'managed by your system administrator'. The boxes are greyed out, and I can not change them despite being an admin. And doing DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth along with sfc /scannow in the Administrator Command Prompt does nothing to fix it, nor does using the Troubleshooting tools. This forces me to use a System Restore to a time before I lost control over the Windows Update settings, and honestly I dislike having to do that all the time whenever it happens so I would like to know what is causing it, and if so can I fix it. However it is random, and sometimes using a normal thing like running a Vulnerability Scan with Kaspersky Internet Security 2013, like I did last night because I had missed a scheduled scan of it. 

The whole thing about Chrome and all that? That was me telling the events of what I had done BEFORE posting my problem, cause I wanted to know what a possible cause was, whether or not I had malware or anything despite running RKill, a full scan with Kaspersky set at Deep Scan along with Rootkit and Detailed Scans enabled, running TDSSkiller and a scan with Malware Bytes Anti-Malware for extra measure. I am still unsure as to whether or not I have some hidden rootkit on my computer that causes this to happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users