Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BitDefender slows down my computer a LOT

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Zygorator

Zygorator

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

Hello all,

I installed BitDefender about two weeks ago and ever since then, my computer has been prone to frequent freezes and crashes, particularly when I use programs such as iTunes. Freezes usually last about five minutes each, but last throughout the day, and are extremely detrimental to productivity. I have Windows 7 Home Edition with 3 GB of RAM if that helps. I've been strongly considering uninstalling it, but it cost a decent amount of money and I don't want that to go to waste. I had actually tried uninstalling it earlier, but I was prompted with a reinstallation process, meant to stop any problems or slowdowns that it had caused. This process really did not help whatsoever.

My computer honestly acts more like it has a virus now than ever before, and I've confirmed that I bought BitDefender straight from the developer's official website (I wasn't experiencing any of these problems before downloading BitDefender). One pertinent problem, in addition to the above, is that this program cannot even complete a full system scan and freezing my computer, which requires a hard reboot. All of this is both very annoying and has left my computer vulnerable to malware attacks.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:02 PM

There have been several complaints at the BitDefender forums...one solution is to disabled auto update but if your scans are freezing that may not help.

I also found this: BitDefender: My Internet is slow troubleshooting

If no one else has any suggestions you can try:
BitDefender Support
BitDefender Contact Customer Care: Open an email ticket
BitDefender Chat Support
BitDefender Contact Us By Phone
BitDefender Support Forums
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

BTW, the speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.
  • The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both.
  • Options to scan for spyware, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPS)[/color][/url].
  • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
  • Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.
  • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
  • A computer's hard drive size.
  • Disk size and used capacity (number of files that have to be scanned).
  • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
  • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
  • Competition for and utilization of system/CPU resources by the scanner.
  • Other running processes and programs in the background.
  • Whether the scanning engine stalls, hangs or freezes.
  • Interference from malware.
  • Interference from other security programs attempting to scan at the same time.
  • Interference from other programs attempting to update (download/install) components from the Internet.
  • Interference from the user (whether or not you use the computer during the scan).
For a more detailed explanation, read How an Antivirus Program Works.

Note:
-- Using two security scanning engines at the same time can cause each to interfere with the other, cause systems hangs, false detections, unreliable results and other unpredictable behavior.

-- Although they should not affect an anti-virus scan, if the screensaver, hibernation or Sleep Mode are not turned off before scanning, those features can sometimes have odd effects when attempting to perfom a scan. Some folks create special power schemes to use when doing their scans while others just turn these features off until the scan is complete.

To speed up a scan, uninstall unnecessary programs, clean out temporary files, temporarily disable any other real-time protection tools, close all open programs, perform a Quick Scan instead of a Full one and do not use the computer during the scan. In some case you may need to try scanning in safe mode.

#4 Junior2007

Junior2007

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

FWIW, I recently switched to Bitdefender Free Anti Virus and it has shown none of these issues described above. Works very well. Sounds like it's an issue with the paid version only?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:50 PM

Mixed user reviews in this discussion topic.

I came across this article today:
PC Users Four Times More Angry with Slow Performance than Catching Viruses, Bitdefender Study Shows

#6 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

FWIW, I recently switched to Bitdefender Free Anti Virus and it has shown none of these issues described above. Works very well. Sounds like it's an issue with the paid version only?

Woah! I didn't know BitDefender had a Free Edition. I've been using Avast Free for years, I wonder how it stacks up. Might have to try it.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

BitDefender Antivirus Free Edition

#8 Hay-yo

Hay-yo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

Hello all! Ok here is what I've tried to date [I have 3 pc's running Bitdefender 2014], I've permanently disabled auto update (seemed to help some) the operative word is "some." Then after doing more non-related network & pc tests I found here> https://www.grc.com/default.htm I found Bitdefender's firewall has leaks! So I downloaded the free version of Zone Alarm Firewall Link: http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-pc-security-free-firewall.htm and disabled the Bitdefender Firewall and that really helped and it stoped the leaky Firewall issues. But after a few hours my network seemed to almost return to crap status... I haven't tried this yet but I've read you should also disable your IPv6 in your network's router relying on only IPv4... And this will permanently speed-up your whole network again. For me this sounds like a cheap solution especially when this now means 2 of my pc that use the 5.0ghz range will now fall silent. 

So I'm still searching for the right solution and I don't think I'm going to give up until I do.

Cheers!

Edited by Hay-yo, 16 February 2014 - 05:19 PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

Instead of Zone Alarm, why not try Windows built-in Firewall with BitDefender and see how that combo works>

#10 Hay-yo

Hay-yo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:41 AM

I tried that but if you run the Leak test from Gibson ( @ that link I posted previous) you'll find Both Windows Firewall & Bitdefenders are penetrated.  Zone Alarm's however you can't.

So for a free Firewall, hands down the Zone Alarm firewall a better firewall vs. Windows & Bitdefenders put together.

On another note; I went ahead and uninstalled Bitdefender on 2 systems all together. It's not that I think it horrible software or anything, actually to the contrary, but I just don’t have time to take on 3 systems performing all the tweaks necessary to get Bitdefender to “Play-Nice" on 3 separate computers. No sharing is allowed on my network, UPnP is disabled in my Netgear router, DNS is sent thru a resolver and my router looks pretty darn secure. So I’m going to combat Bitdefender on only 1 system and see if I can straighten out all the problems it’s presented. I do understand the software but there are quite a few settings I'll have to adress. If and when I nail down the right setting, I'll for sure post them up here.

Cheers!

Edited by Hay-yo, 17 February 2014 - 01:45 AM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

Sometimes you just have to do what works best for you.

#12 jormelen

jormelen

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:16 PM

I have this same issue.... A very slow computer especially surfing the net and opening web pages. I purchased a few days ago DB Antivirus Plus 2016 for $19.97 for I've been using the Free version for over 2 years so I figured that I should buy the paid version after the great FREE service I've been receiving. Wrong decision is all I can say.

I verified and scanned my PC for malware and it's clean as a whistle. After doing a few experiments and searching the only thing different before installing DB is exactly that BD. I also had a friend (he's a tech) look at my PC and all is well. He also told me that he's seen this issue as well with a few of his clients. His solution was to have them remove DB and go back to the FREE Version which is what I'm doing as well. I don't have another answer but to remove DB paid version and back to FREE. I have notified BD service and have solicited a refund and they have replied and are on it as of today.

I actually would like to keep it for the excellent reviews for it's virus detection rates but I just can't tolerate the slow down issue.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:45 PM

As I noted with the previous poster...sometimes you just have to do what works best for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users