Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

operating system not found data recovery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 revinue2244

revinue2244

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

First off i would like to say hello to the bleepingcomputer community and second sorry if i posted this in the wrong section.

I have a toshiba l355 that originally had windows vista on it but a year ago a family member over wrote my cpu with a windows 8 beta and i think my cpu is saying "operating system not found" cause the beta expired and my question is can i retrieve my data from the computer before i buy a new copy of a operating system? Thank in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

Would have nothing to do with the beta expiring.  Something is wrong with the hard drive.  Either the MBR (Master Boot Record) is screwed up, or the hard drive is dying.  Try installing Xubuntu 12.04 LTS 32 bit from a CD, and see if you still get problems with the drive.  You can also use the Xubuntu CD as a LIve CD, to allow you to check S.M.A.R.T. info on the drive, to see if it is failing.

#3 revinue2244

revinue2244
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:27 PM

Is there a chance i can recover my data from the drive?

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:31 PM

You may be able to.  You can try and use the Xubuntu LiveCD, to attempt to pull any documents, photos, music, video off of the hard drive.  If the drive is bad, Newegg.com is running a sale on 240gb SSD's right now.

#5 revinue2244

revinue2244
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

What if i try to use a external hardrive to get the data?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users