Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse pointer jumps erratically and mouse clicking inoperative

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kamperboy57

kamperboy57

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

I have an HP Windows 7 computer that has been working fine until I attempted to install Chrome Browser.  Sometime afterward I noticed that my mouse curser would jump around erratically at times and if I try to left click on something, it doesn't work at all and I might have to wait 30 to 120 seconds for the mouse click to work again.  I de-installed Chrome, but the problem continues.  My Windows updates are all up to date, with the exception of the optional updates.  (I rarely install them because I never can figure out if they're necessary, so being safe rather than guess, I don't install optional updates).  This cursor problem has been going on for a few weeks and occasionally my keyboard doesn't seem to print out letters as typed.  There seems to be a lag at times, although that's not often.  Until the Chrome install, this computer has been perfect.  Any assist will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Brandon Young

Brandon Young

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

I had an issue with this before when fixing a brothers computer which was badly infested with viruses. It took a couple days to get everything out. I don't just use the software I go into regedit and All the individual folders to remove the viruses. But I dont know if you have viruses that may slow down your computer But after I removed all His viruses well It stoped. His mouse jumped around like crazy would move to the side and not let you move it back for a while. But Idk for your situation.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

First of all, welcome to BC !

While it is always possible that you have malware on your computer I wouldn't dream of trying to sort that problem the way Brandon suggests - there are much simpler ways to establish if the problem exists first.

However, I don't think this is your problem here, I think your mouse driver has been corrupted and this is easily fixed !

Click 'Start - Control panel - System'. This will bring up the system dialogue box. In the top left hand corner you will see 'Device Manager', click on this and the DM dialogue box will open. More or less half way down the list of contents you will see 'Mice and other pointing devices'.You may also be able to see the sub-entry for 'HID compliant mouse', if not click on the + sign.

Click twice on 'HID etc' and the 'Properties' box will appear. Click on the second tab, marked 'Drivers' and the 'Drivers' box appears, with, at the bottom 'Uninstall (advanced)'. Click uninstall and, if asked, click 'Yes' or 'Accept' then shut your computer down and re-boot.

NOTE :  Having uninstalled your mouse driver, you will not be able to use your mouse to shut down !  Press the 'Windows' key and when the 'Start' menu appears, use the 'Tab' key to select 'Shut down'. You will know it is selected when you see a sort of dotted line around 'Shut down', then press the 'Enter' key to shut the computer down. When you start up again, your mouse driver will be automatically re-installed.

However, if the problem continues after this, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 kamperboy57

kamperboy57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

Thank you for the welcome Chris.  Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to this computer problem and you. 

I appreciate very much your suggestion.  I just performed the hopeful repair a few minutes ago and I was very happy that it was so simple that even I could understand it.  I won't know until tomorrow if it works or not because with only a few windows open it always seems to work fine.  The problem appears during the trading day when I have about 10 windows open, my email open, and the TD Ameritrade Think or Swim trading platform open all at the same time. 

To clarify, it had been working just fine for the past year or so since I've had this Windows 7 computer.  (Incidentally, I love Windows 7.)  It might be only coincidental, but the problem seemed to start about 3 weeks ago when I downloaded and installed Google Chrome browser for purposes of adding Google Chromecast.  I hadn't realized at the time that I needed a dual band router for the Chromecast to work, so I removed the Google Chrome browser and since then I've had this problem.

Anyway, I will report back to you after I see how things work tomorrow with the flow of stock market information.

Hope all is well in Scotland!

Thanks again. 

Dave

#5 kamperboy57

kamperboy57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

Well, I'm 2 + hours into the trading day and unfortunately the mouse and keyboard are doing the same thing.  I should mention that it works just fine on my trading platform, which is the TD Ameritrade Think or Swim and also works fine on my word processor.  They have worked fine all along.  The only problems I have are on webpages.  I'm using Internet Explorer 11, but it also acts the same if I use Mozilla as my browser.  If you have any further thoughts, I appreciate them.  Thank you for what you've given me so far.  Dave

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

Interesting !

You have had IE11 and Firefox for some time and had no problems with them or your mouse until you installed Chrome for the purpose of using Chromecast. While you had Chrome on your system, your mouse developed problems, and when you discovered that you couldn't run Chromecast at this time, you uninstalled Chrome, but your mouse problems continued. And since then, you have uninsstalled and re-installed your mouse drivers.

In order of increasing complexity and / or cost I would next try these possible solutions :

(1)  (Free !)  Try your mouse in a different USB socket. USB sockets can fail or be damaged, I know, I have one iffy one at the front of my own computer.

(2)  Try a different mouse, they too can fail. Borrow one (free !) or buy one (not very expensive !) and it is always useful to have a spare.

(3)  (Free, but a little more complex)  I think it unlikely, but Chrome and Chromecast - if you installed the software for it - may not have uninstalled properly or fully and left over fragments could be causing your problems. Download the Revo Uninstaller from here :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/

Install it and run it. It is a very powerful uninstaller and quite easy to use. It has a search function that will look for any left-over fragments of software, and it will search down to the registry level. If you do decide to go down this far NOTE that you should delete only entries which are presented to you in BOLD text. And if in doubt about registry entries - Don't ! 

I hope this helps.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 kamperboy57

kamperboy57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

OK Chris.  I'll try those suggestions in order, but not until tomorrow when the stock market is open and presumably using more of the computer's resources.  Windows had some updates today so I installed them after market close.  I had to re-start the computer after the install and I now have 9 windows open, my Think or Swim trading platform open, and my email screen open.  Everything is working fine right now, but it seems that I have this problem more when the stock market is open, although the mouse/keyboard seem to work fine on the trading platform even during the trading day.  It's only my windows that get bogged down.  Sorry to be repetitive, but I'm both a pilot and an aircraft mechanic.  I find that sometimes in troubleshooting things, the more that's said, sometimes a different way of explaining something occasionally leads to a solution.  Thanks again.  Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users