Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Administrator?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kevjh

kevjh

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

I tried to install the Mozilla Firefox browser and got THIS PROGRAM IS BLOCKED BY GROUP POLICY.FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR.

What does this mean? And how can I unblock this thing and be able to install Firefox and use it?

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

It means that something is screwed up with your Windows 8 profile.  Are you using Windows 8.x home or Windows 8.x Pro?

#3 kevjh

kevjh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

Hi

I`m using Windows 8.1 home.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

And again, something is screwed up with your user profile.  Now are you using a Microsoft Live account, or Local account?  Also does this same behavior happen with another profile on the computer?  What happens if you do a complete uninstall of Fire Fox, and reinstall the software?

#5 kevjh

kevjh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

Hello

I think i`m using a  local account and mine is the only profile on the computer. I`ve used Fire Fox before and uninstalled it because it was running slow at times and I had no trouble installing it then.

Thanks again

Kevjh

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

I stopped using Fire fox, due to memory leak issues in the 20.x series, and that it was not cross platform capable.  Now I only use Chrome for browsing, since I can use it on my iPhone, Google Nexus 7 tablet, and Windows 8.1 computer.  If I need to pull up what I have on the computer, for say having to go out to my car or garage, to work on something that I need the info at hand, vs. printing a bunch of pages, I can leave the tab open on my laptop, and open it up on either my Nexus 7 tablet or iPhone.

#7 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

The group policy error would make me think that you're running on a domain.

Is this PC a work PC or a home use PC?

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#8 kevjh

kevjh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

I use it for home use.

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

Even though you use it for home use, is it a work machine.

Companies normally set all of their machines to be the same and if they have a policy to prevent Firefox from running it will be put on all machines.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

Also you may want to try right clicking on the Firefox Setup File and select Run As and select administrator.

GPO's can be set up on non-domain controlled machines.

#11 kevjh

kevjh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

My PC is my own at home.I`ll try right clicking the Firefox Setup and see if it solves the problem.

Thanks again.

#12 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

See this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737011(WS.10).aspx  Used to see this a lot on Vista, when UAC first came about.  That is what is leading me to think that UAC is hosed on your machine.  Software conflict can also cause it.  I would try the "Refresh your PC without affecting your files" in this case, and see if that corrects this behavior.  Also App Locker will cause this.  See also http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/79526-blocked-group-policy.html

I started buying nothing buy Pro editions of Windows, after I got a XP machine, that had Home on it.  Makes things a whole lot easier, when you run into policy issues on machines.

Edited by Greg62702, 10 February 2014 - 09:31 PM.

#13 kevjh

kevjh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

I`ve tried everything thats been suggested and regretfully they haven`t solved the problem.

I might have found out whats been causing the problem.Something called  TrustedInstaller.

Take a look at http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-how-to-delete-files-protected-by-trustedinstaller/

I`ve never heard of it before so i`m going to research into it.

Thanks for all your help

kevjh

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

Trusted Installer is a necessary Windows Service, and as such is called when trying to install software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users