Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Refresh my computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

I would like to refresh my Asus desktop.It came with windows8 and I upgraded to 8.1.From what I have been reading I will lose all updates which is ok with me.I am concerned about losing any or all of my programs.Some say they have lost some of there installed programs,would this be true.

Thank-you,Tony.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

Refresh will make it as if it was out of the box.  That means a reinstall of all programs.  Now if you just do a Rollback, it will just uninstall 8.1 and be Windows 8 again.  What problems are you having with 8.1, that you are needing to go back to 8.

#3 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

I can't get Windows firewall to turn on.I don't mean to offend you but refresh will not bring it back to out of the box.I know it deletes all updates and leaves a folder on your desktop with all programs you had.Just don't know if it deletes them.As far as the firewall,I had AVG internet security which has a built in firewall.It shutdowns down the windows firewall but I knew that ahead of time.I think the problem was that I temporarily stopped AVG's guard and firewall to download a program.Before I turned it back on I uninstalled it and that's when I had the problem.The error code I get is 0x6D9.I googled it and tried a few fixes but still doesn't work.I also tried scannow

and still no luck.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

Then try a Restore point, prior to when AVG was installed.

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

Did you try this fix?  Even though it states that it is for Windows 7, it should work for Windows 8.x.  http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/250603-windows-firewall-not-working.html

Edited by Greg62702, 08 February 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

Also, did you try the AVG complete removal tool.  http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

#7 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

Have no restore point before AVG but will try the fix you posted.Thank-you for your help,Tony.

#8 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

Did try the fix and it worked,thank-you for the help and the solution,Tony.

#9 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

Always is the last thing.  After this, download Clonezilla and run it on a Pendrive or CD, to clone the drive image to a disc or Network drive.  That way you have a good image, in case you run into this again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users