Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS Reconfigured

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 seamurgh

seamurgh

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:37 PM

My Win XP GX60 Optiplex series has been one of the best computers I have ever had the privilege of working with. Together in the last 8 years have gone through at least 15 crashes that I recovered. Sometimes with having to reformat a partition but all was well in the end. I am very partial to this unit and want it repaired but this time I have hit a block. When I turn it on it goes only to system set up. I have no primary or secondary drives at all. This all happened after an update and so my system does not recognize a CD/DVD drive or HD drive and USB drive states: "not installed" My entire configuration for my BIOS has changed or missing. Since I cannot access any drives to reboot or access my command prompt F8 - "Windows Advanced Options Menu" no F1 at all F2 - set up, and my F12  I can access tells me to either
1. Normal boot
2. system set up 
3. IDE drive diagnostics
4. Boot to the utility partition.

1.Normal takes me to setup,
2.Sys setup is where I keep getting rerouted to anyway,
3. IDE tells me "NO IDE hardware drivers installed",  and
4. BOOT to Utility Partition says "no boot device available.

I have changed the Cmos battery, I "jumped" it both for password and the reset but no default settings reloaded. I took off all detachable connections and reset and try to reboot that way. I bought an external CD/DVD Driver so I could download repair CD but its unrecognized. Attempted to download via USB but "unrecognized".  So how can I repair my BIOS when I am denied access to any port, USB, CD drive, or command prompt? Can I input the correct information needed by typing a prompt in BIOS and if yes then what is the correct variations for it to recognize? Doesn't seem to accept any command but what is available to alter programs system and it seems to have been altered which I do not know correct configurations and it does not have a factory default setting to reset.

Here is my computers information:

Dell Optiplex GX60 series
Intel Celeron processor 2.40 GHz 
level 2 cache 128 kb integrated
BIOS version A08
Service tag: 3BDV751
Motherboard model: Dell Co. Corp. OC 3207
That is all I have as info. Please, please help me!

Edited by hamluis, 08 February 2014 - 06:02 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

Are you saying that put  a new CMOS battery in...then reset the date/time and saved the changes by hitting F10?

Louis

#3 seamurgh

seamurgh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

Hi Louis, No my XP does not recognize F 10 in the BIOS you just hit enter but there were no changes except for the date and time. All the drives are "not installed" according to, system, and I cannot reboot from HD or CD/DVD drive, USB, the entire configuration of the BIOS is off kilter. 

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

THis all needs to be done in the system BIOS, long before Win can boot.  The first flash/display on the screen should be the video BIOS, then the system BIOS and memory counting will start.  Before the first flash,  a function key, a hardware key, like F4,  or F5, that will allow you to enter the BIOS program.  Find the last selection to RESET FACTORY DEFAULTS.  That would put the hard drive circuits into AUTO mode.  That may be all you need to do besides setting the date and time properly.

#5 seamurgh

seamurgh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

At the very start of pushing the button I attempt the F- 8 key but it jumps to Dell screen loads and gives me 2 options, F-1, F-2, and F-12. F1 doesn't work it just repeats, F2 is the setup window which is the BIOS and nothing shows in my hard drives as being installed, including the IDE Legacy. The F12 "the Boot Menu", goes to1-5 choices

1. normal

2. Diskette Drive

3. System Set up

4. IDE Drive Diagnostics

5. Boot Utility Partition

except for diskette drive which requests a repair floppy (any floppy I have placed is rejected because it says its not OS floppy, so I am not sure it works to repair that way and have no one here I know with a floppy drive to the download repair floppy from Dell to try) and number 3. System Setup is the one I get routed to in the end which I am not able to change anything. If I could get to command prompt F8, I would be able to at least command windows and change configuration through there. I am working on trying to find someone with floppy and see if I have some luck that way.

I have no problems getting to BIOS window, but there is no factory reset defaults to go to. My windows 7 has that option but not my XP in this GX60. It shows no option for that anywhere, and I have opened all windows in it.

I do appreciate the help very much and taking the time to answer me. 

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

Clearing NVRAM, Restoring Default Settings, scroll down approx 85-90% of document.

Louis

#7 seamurgh

seamurgh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

Thank you Louis

#8 seamurgh

seamurgh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

I have tried that with the battery removal and the jumpers it just won't reset to factory defaults. Thank you though, I appreciate your input

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

If the reset and new bat failed, you do have a serious problem but I would first start with a new keyboard and this may get this back to normal.  There are a lot of OS defaults that are based on what hardware is or isn't found from the BIOS and the OS boot loader.  Changes in hardware will result on the OS detecting the change and giving an error of BSOD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users