Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not quite on topic, but I have a question I need help with

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

I finally built myself the PC I've been dreaming about for years... And it actually works, and I love it, and I definitely have no complaints w/r/t my love...uh...computer. But buying all those components put me in the red, and besides, I don't have the room for 3 PCs. Of my two other ones, one is relatively small (one of those mid-size HAF cases) and it's perfect for what I use it for (and it's not worth much, anyway). The other one is a custom-built monster (built by Geekbox - now Xidax custom PCs - a couple years ago) and while it's in great shape, and the hardware alone is still worth more than just a little, most people aren't in the market for a PC this huge and complicated (looking... remember how computer non-fanatics think stuff like water-cooling is indicative of wild, impossible to a handle, computer craziness? OK, think of your grandparents... Got it?) so I'm not sure what my target market could possibly be. People who appreciate this level of tech prefer to build their own computers, and people who can afford this kind of thing and like to think of themselves as tech-savvy will always go for an Alienware or something, and people who can afford it but could care less about tech won't want a monster computer (as cool as it may be) when they can just get something at Best Buy, plug it in, and do nothing with it.

I've thought about craigslist, but I live in Manhattan (and I'm female), and that can get creepy. I can't just junk it, or tear it apart for parts... This thing was my baby. The ideal would be to sell it to a like-minded friend, but all of my friends consider me the biggest computer dork of everyone they know (which is weird, I know... but a topic for another post). Does anyone know if there's anything like, i don't know... clubs for computer enthusiasts (hopefully in NYC)? or a place where nerds congregate (not a star trek convention, please)? swap meet? I just DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HECK TO DO!!!! aaaargh

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

You can get an idea of pricing by spending a little time on Ebay to see what like setups end up going for.  As far as selling Craigs list or Ebay, kind of tough getting your $$ back on any used stuff, most all tech boards do not allow selling saves them from backlash.  At any rate good luck with a sale!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 defanged

defanged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

thanks, Phil.

I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and try ebay or something similar.

I think the real problem is - and this is embarrassing - I'm having trouble letting go. Like it was a puppy, or something.

Sad.

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users