Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is inSSIDer safe to download?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jnewell

jnewell

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

I've used inSSIDer in the past and thought it was really good. As a result of windows reloads that I've had to do several times i've lost inSSIDer as it's a 3rd party s/w. I can download it again easily. But, I decided to look at reviews just to see what alternatives might be available and I was unpleasantly surprised to find that many reviewers say the latest versions of inSSIDer come with other s/w bundled that you really do not want on your machine and are almost impossible to get rid of.

Any thoughts on this, please.  Thanks ... John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

Why wouldn't it.  The alternatives are the danger.  As for inSSIDer, you just run it, it finds other wireless A/P's around you, tells you if there is congestion on the same channel that you have your wireless A/P on.

As for this extra software, do you have an example of that?  If you go to Metageek.net's inSSIDer page at http://www.inssider.com, you get a clean release, same as with their legacy editions at metageek.net.

Edited by Greg62702, 08 February 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

Very handy tool, shows you all the A/P in range, channel assignments and type interface usedd with security in use.  I need the same thing to find WIFI devices along with the appropriate router.

#4 jnewell

jnewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:21 AM

Hi there, Thanks for the comments. No. I haven't got any specific examples of unrequited ware. I looked at the reviews on Cnet and these were a bit scary so I haven't downloaded InSSIDer again, yet. However based on your advice I will now download from the metageek site and see how it goes. Thanks.

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

Cnet is garbage.  Do not even bother going there, or listening to what they state over there.  Those reviews are planted reviews, by software writes of the same type of software that inSSIDer is.  Metageek has been producing inSSIDer for a very long time.  The programmer that created it originally, just moved it over to http://www.inssider.com, so that it had a better presence, then it did over at metageek.net.

There is also some other good tools for checking for A/P's around you, listed over at metageek.net.

#6 jnewell

jnewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for the info, everyone. I went to the Cnet site again just to have a more in depth look and they offer a default download (recommended), and a custom download. If you go for 'default'  which I didn't, you automatically get all sorts of stuff such as a different default browser and other 'stuff'. The  custom allows you to not download these things if you keep your eyes open. Any way I downloaded inSSIDer from metageek site (redirected) and didn't get any of the 'stuff', just good old inSSIDer which works a treat. The internet sure is a scary place!!

Once again, thanks for the advice.

Best wishes ... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users