Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC build freezing at post after resets or restarts

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Trakkur

Trakkur

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

Folks,

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me resolve a very pesky issue that has been eluding me for 4 days now. I've exhausted myself and my resources. Long calls with ASUS technicians has proved next to useless and Kingston techs are not online during the weekend.

I finished a new build Wednesday night featuring a Sabertooth Z87 motherboard, which is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Here are the full specs of my system:

ASUS Sabertooth Z87 motherboard (running Bios version 1707)
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B) 4 x 4gb DIMMs
Seidon 120M liquid cooling
Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core
2x Kingston Hyper-X 3K 120gb SSD (In RAID 0 using the Intel RAID controller in the motherboard)
2x Western Digital 1TB HDD - due to be replaced soon
Onboard sound
GeForce 9600GT video card
Zalman Z9 mid tower cas12:50 PM 2/6/2014e
Silverstone 750w power supply
LG DVD-CDRW optical drive (SATA) -- model that is several years old.

If I restart the system from Windows 7 *or* press the reset button on the system it reboots, but hangs at the ASUS TUF Logo with a message to press F2 or DEL to enter the bios setting....and nothing works. This happens every single time if I restart from within the OS or press the reset button. If I shut down the system and do a cold boot it works just fine and loads the OS in about 25-30 seconds from the moment I power on the system.

This same freezing behaviour has occured somewhat regularly when I have a disc in the DVD drive.

I was advised to set the "Launch CSM" option in the BIOS to "Disabled" to see if that resolves the issue, which it did not. I then updated all drivers on the system to their latest (I think!) - still no change. After a full round of Windows updates (144 to be precise) it still happens every time I reboot the system. Cold starts are fine, but reboots cause it to freeze up.

So, I built a plan to simplify the build by going down to a single SSD and the DVD drive and re-install Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and working up from there to find the faulty component.

I cleared the CMOS (pullng the battery and letting the power drain from the board), installed a single SSD (Kingston HyperX 3k model SH103S3/120G) and my DVD on the Intel SATA controller and left the BIOS on ACHI - stock everything, no drivers updates or anything works just fine. I was able to restart the system about 25 times without a single freeze at all.

So...next I powered off and installed the 2nd SSD (same model), configured the two SSDs in RAID 0 and reinstalled Win7. I did *not* clear the BIOS at this point since I didn't thin it was necessary - and I hate pulling that battery since it's crammed on to the board. Unfortunately the freezing occured right away on the 1st reboot, and keeps happening. Every single time.

I've updated every single driver on the build to the latest (I believe) and can't fix the issue.

Kingston tools do not even see the drives at all, so I can't apply any firmware. If I rebuild with the drives NOT in RAID perhaps the tool will see them and install the firmware - and MAYBE the issue will go away, but if I do that and rebuild the drives into an array won't I lose the firmware on the drives?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue? I will take any suggestions and advice, and will gladly start over if needed.

Please advise...this is driving me crazy and kept me up every night.

Thank you,
-Rob
user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Trakkur

Trakkur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

One more issue I noticed is that when I use Internet Explorer to access the ASUS service webpage it nevers comes up...and produces a dialog box saying "Out of memory at line 1".This has happened every time I have tried on each build out - and does NOT happen on other computers I own.

Do I have a virus or malware perhaps? It's a fresh build using Microsoft Security Essentials - which has not detected anything.

Also, memtest has been run completely against my 16gb and the pass completed without a single error.

Thanks,

-Rob

PS - How do I attach screenshots? I don't see how.

#3 Trakkur

Trakkur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

I have an update:

OK, I reloaded with the 2 SSDs in ACHI and yes, I can see the firmware for the drives finally.

Unfortunately, I don't think that will get me any closer to the solution since the firmware for both drives is listed by the tool at 507KC4 - and it says that there is no firmware update required.

When I checked online the latest firmware I knew about was 503 from Kingston, which I wasn't expecting to find and downloaded earlier - couldn't even get it from Kingston, I had to search it out and grabbed it from another site. What is this one? I never heard of 507KC4.

So, now I'm back on the RAID controller of the motherboard being the most likely culprit.

BTW - With the 2 SSDs in ACHI reboots of the system are instantaneous - literally seconds from restart command to back up in Windows 7. Wow.

So....the RAID controller on the ASUS Sabertooth Z87 motherboard seems to be the issue. I've loaded the very latest driver for the RAID controller from ASUS - and still nothing. Slower reboot times (20-30 seconds)and constant freezes. When the drives are NOT in a RAID everything works just fine.

I want to have my system SSDs in a RAID 0 and my data drives in RAID 1 - so unfortunately I guess a call to ASUS is in order. Ugh.

Wish me more luck. I hate talking to those techs since they are just plain useless.

-Rob

Thanks for the help.

-Rob

#4 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

makes me feel like i dodged a bullet: almost did the same thing (raid 0 w/ the 2 SSDs, raid 1 w/ the HDDs) w/ that same ASUS sabertooth mobo when I did my build, but ended up with a rampage 4 extreme at the last minute (which, no prob). Sorry - - I know that doesn't help you. that sucks. I wish I had something better to offer than the probably ridiculous question that maybe the two RAID controllers are duking it out and getting all screwed up? (I know, I know... but I wanted to at least try to help...)

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#5 Trakkur

Trakkur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

@defanged. Hehe, thanks. :)

Seriously though, the Sabertooth Z87 was highly recommended to me and honestly I'm very pleased with the entire build so far - except for this damn RAID issue. It took me 4 days of installing, reinstalling and yet again re-installing my configuration to try and find the cause. I was thinking it was the RAID controller from the beginning since I have some experience in that area, but I had no proof. Now I do. I'm at least 80% sure it's the RAID controller - I'm just hoping it's the driver and not a physical issie.

Someone from another website gave me a link to where I can get the latest driver for the controller - however I *think* I have it already...but we will see.

At the very least I have two more break it down, rebuild its in my future.

I will reply back..

The browser issue concerns me though...once I have a stable build I'll have to dig into that one.

Thanks,

-Rob

#6 Trakkur

Trakkur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:30 AM

Guess what!

It works now! The missing link the entire time was the RAID controller driver...I was told on another forum to go to the Intel website and grab it...and it works!!! Holy hell that was painful.

I finally have a brand new working system - no more freezes on reboots. Perfection. It boots up from cold start or restarts to able to use OS in approximately 30 seconds.

I'm downloading and installing the host of Windows 7 updates I need, but so far so good.

I hope that the browser issue I noted is gone as well, but we shall see - and if it is not I will surely return here for some assistance.

My thanks to everyone that replied.

-Rob

#7 Trakkur

Trakkur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:10 AM

http://m.bestofmedia.com/sfp/images/design/noimg/no-profil-100x100.jpg?force=true

OMFG! I completed all of the Windows updates and that damn freezing issue is BACK!!!!!

The system called for over 150 updates, all important....and now my system is freezing on every reboot again.

WTH!?!?

I tried re-installing the Intel RAID controller driver again, but no luck. I'm going to poke around through the updates and see if I find one dealing with RAID controllers, but I doubt I'll get that lucky.

I'm open to any and all suggestions again.

This sucks big time.

-Rob

PS - The funky browser issue I had during one of my earlier builds is now gone - unfortunately the old freezing on reboots is back. It was working PERFECTLY before the Windows updates.

#8 Trakkur

Trakkur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

One more thing - during the rounds of Windows updates the first two went perfectly...the issue didn't materialize until the very last set of updates, which including a driver update for my nVidia GeForce 9600 GT video card.

It downloaded and installed driver 332.21...I'm going to see if I can downgrade that driver. Is anyone aware of any issues with that driver that causes freezes - in my case on reboot?

Thanks,
-Rob

#9 Trakkur

Trakkur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

Well, I've tried to install the following older drivers with no luck, the freezing on reboot issue STILL exists.

I've used driver 314.22, 331.65, 331.82 and of course the most recent 332.21.

I'm stumped. I really do NOT want to do another complete rebuild - but I simply can't figure out what is causing these freezes now. It was working PERFECTLY before the last round of Windows updates - which included video driver 332.21.

Any more thoughts folks?

Thanks,

-Rob

#10 Trakkur

Trakkur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

Ok, I got it now thanks to help fro the moderator on another forum COLGeek.

It wasn't the GeForce driver update, or even the Windows updates - directly anyway. One of those must have impacted the Intel Rapid Start tool, once I reinstalled it everything went back to normal. I even have the latest GeForce driver now.

I've rebooted about 10 times now without any more issues. Now I just need to figure out why one of my Western Digital SSDs appears to have gone "belly up". No big deal since I had previusly backed up my data there - but at this point I can't even use the drive at all.

Thanks again for all of the help. I appreciate it.

-Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users