Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Here!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Matty4343

Matty4343

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

Hello Everybody!

I've been 'sent' here from the EA Forum.

I'll just cut and paste my post in here - Thanks for your help! I'm just getting into this whole 'PC' thing, so Any help would be appriciated! Ta!

Just a few quick questions. 

1) If I buy a PC, Install windows 8. Is it possible two install another operating system. Is obviosuly wouldn't be using both at the same time. 

2) Would the 2nd OS be able to be some sort of Apple OS? What are the Cons of this?

Please could you explain in detail! Thanks!

Edited by Matty4343, 08 February 2014 - 12:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Matty4343

Matty4343
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

?

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

First of all, welcome to BC !

Second, give us a chance to see your post before you go bumping it !

As for your query, to the best of my knowledge and belief, you can install any other flavour of windows as a second operating system on Win 8, and you can also install any flavour of Linux that you fancy.

Equally, to the best of my knowledge and belief, you cannot install an Apple OS because the only way to obtain a legal copy of an Apple OS is to buy a computer from Apple !

The technique is pretty much the same for whatever secondary OS you decide to install. You need to create a partition on your hard drive for it, then, when installing the second OS, select that partition as the one it is to be installed in. A boot options menu should be automatically created, and you select the OS you want to run from that.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

Chris you can install Mac OS-X on a PC with a Intel CPU with a UEFI bios.  But it takes some work, to make it actually run properly.  As for the OP question. they can run any OS they want on their computer, since they own the hardware.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:53 AM

As for the OP question. they can run any OS they want on their computer, since they own the hardware.

Running Mac OS X on a non Apple hardware is a violation of EULA even if you pay for it. We only own the hardware,not Mac source code or a right to modify it.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:23 PM

Running Mac OS X on a non Apple hardware is a violation of EULA even if you pay for it. We only own the hardware,not Mac source code or a right to modify it.

I go with Anshad on this one - I did say 'legal' !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users