Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc running very sluggish

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 greatdeals_007

greatdeals_007

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

pc running vista 32 bit 4GB memory 2TB drive

my pc is running very slow and I have tried running
spybot, malwarebytes, tuneup utilizies, defrag drive

cpu monitor shows some intermittent spikes with high
utilization.  wondering if I should get a new drive

any suggestions on how I can improve the performance
or what things I should look for that may be slowing
computer down?  please only free utilities

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

A start...would be uninstalling Tuneup Utiliteis and any programs installed which are similar.

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner FAQ, PC Support - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/registry-cleaner/a/registry-cleaner-faq.htm

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

Did Malwarebytes find anything?

Did you do the long test?

I'm guessing that you meant Tuneup Utilities rather than tuneup utilizies?  If you are using Tuneup Utilities you should be aware that registry cleansers are not recommended here at Bleeping Computer.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 greatdeals_007

greatdeals_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

I went to process under taskmanager and removed processes consuming memory or cppu that I did not need running which helped improve performance.

any idea what these are and if I should remove

teatimer.exe System Settings Protector
dwm.exe desktop window manager
MSASCui.exe Windows Deferender User Interface

once I identify the programs I don't want running how do I get it to stop each time I reboot?  any other suggestions to improve performance that don't cost anything?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

Teatimer is part of Spybot Search & Destroy.  I would suggest uninstalling this program.  If you want a more reliable spyware program I would suggest SUPTERAntiSpyware.

dwm.exe is part of Windows, I would leave it alone.

If you have another antivirus you can disable Windows Defender.

To remove programs from the Startup list I would suggest using Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (Startup CPL 2.8).

You still haven't post the Speccy, please do so.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users