Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinking of buying a Wi-Fi router, but not sure

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 _Edvinas_

_Edvinas_

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

Hi.

I have a tablet and a smart phone, and I used to use my neighbours Wi-Fi to access the internet on those, since I have to plug in a wire to access internet on my PC. Recently, I think the neighbour noticed I was using it, and put on a password. I thought it would be a good idea to buy one of them Wi-Fi routers. Tho I'm not sure how they work. From what I understand, you basically plug in your internet wire into the router and you have Wi-Fi? If not, how does it work? And my PC (Windows XP) is fairly old (about 6 years old) and I'm not even sure I would be able to connect to my wi-fi if I had the router. How can I check?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

Hi, You add the router, I suggest dual band to future proof.

The cable from the modem goes to the router. A second wire goes from the router to the computer. Most Wireless routers have four Ethernet ports as well as Wireless.

Next step

Change the default Username and password for the router. Then set up encryption using a hard to guess key, using a mix of letters, numbers, )(^&$, the key is like a password. For instance nothing simple like

qwertyuiop

password

Pets name

important dates etc.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

Personally I would go with a wired router, a switch, and add a couple of Access Points in your home to cover the property.  I have a Motorola/Arris SB6141 Cable Modem, a TP-Link TL-R600VPN router, a Netgear GS108 Switch, a Engenius ECB350 Access Point with a POE adapter, so that I can have wireless, the router & modem online when the power goes out, by having them on a APC UPS.

I can get up to 1/2 a mile of coverage with the ECB350, set on Auto power setting.  It also allows VLAN's, so that you can set up different SSID's, for different users or groups.

I had a Trendnet TEW-690ap before I got the ECB350.  I got very poor coverage and could not go out to our garage, which sits 25' from the house, I would loose wifi connection.

Never do a all-in-one type setup.  Always go with separate devices for the purpose that they are for.  That way if you have to upgrade something, or something dies, it is a easy swap.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

Hi, I neglected to ask what Your budget is, I apologize for the oversight.

I took a quick look on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Routers-Networking-Online-Communication-Add-Ons/b?ie=UTF8&node=300189

I saw routers from $25 US and up. If you do not need a lot fancy features they can be inexpensive.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 _Edvinas_

_Edvinas_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:24 AM

Hi, You add the router, I suggest dual band to future proof.

The cable from the modem goes to the router. A second wire goes from the router to the computer. Most Wireless routers have four Ethernet ports as well as Wireless.

Next step

Change the default Username and password for the router. Then set up encryption using a hard to guess key, using a mix of letters, numbers, )(^&$, the key is like a password. For instance nothing simple like

qwertyuiop

password

Pets name

important dates etc.

Good Luck

Roger

Wait, so you plug in the internet wire into the router, and there is another wire that goes out of the router and back into the PC? And does that mean my computer will have to be on for the Wi-Fi to work on my phone and tablet? Sorry, for such silly questions, I'm not one of those people who knows much about technology, and I've never really seen a router in action before >.<

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

Hi, No the computer does not have to be on. Only the modem and the router. The wire to the computer is so it gets the Internet with you having to add wireless to the Computer. The Router will feed 4 wired devices usually as well as wireless devices.

The routers job is to direct the Internet replies back to the proper device. If the Tablet requests a something on a web page the router routes the reply back to it, Likewise for the Phone and Computer.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

And my PC (Windows XP) is fairly old (about 6 years old) and I'm not even sure I would be able to connect to my wi-fi if I had the router. How can I check?

Since no one has addressed this particular question:

Whether your fairly old XP system will be able to connect wirelessly depends on one thing: a wireless network adapter. If it does not, you will have to use a wired connection OR purchase a wireless adapter. These can be either an internal wireless card or a USB wireless adapter. The trend now is toward the USB adapters.

There is one way to check to see if you have a wireless adapter on your system.

Start menu/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Device Manager which is on the left side of the page.

Expand NETWORK DEVICES. Post what is listed under Network Devices.

As for the connections, it's really simple.

Line from your internet provider goes to the modem. An ethernet cable goes from the modem to the router port labled INTERNET, WAN or WLAN.

If you use a wired connection, another ethernet cable goes from a router LAN port to your computer.

Your router will have instructions for setting everything up. There should also be a cd included which will walk you through setting up your network and securing the network with a password.

It's not difficult to do. If I can do it anyone can. My advice, buy a router and go for it. Once you do it you will say GEE, that was easier than I thought it would be.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 February 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,745 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

Don't forget go for dual band for now and the future.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#9 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

Don't forget go for dual band for now and the future.

Any that you buy are going to be 20 & 40 channel bandwidth.  They also will come either as b/g/n if Wireless-N, with the ability of using a mixed mode(b only, g only, n only, or b/g or g/n mixed mode) if Wireless AC, it would be the following:  b only, g only, n only, ac only, or b/g, g/n, n/ac.  Depending on the manufacturer)).  As for style, you will still find it cheaper to go with a 2.4ghz model, then a 2.4ghz/5ghz or just 5ghz.  2.4/5ghz units run higher then 2.4ghz, due to the type of chipset that is used in them.

Most areas are not going to be highly congested, that it warrants needing 5ghz, unless you are going with Wireless-Ac, then you are going to see a plus in having that mode available.

#10 _Edvinas_

_Edvinas_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:56 AM

I did it :D I bought the router, hooked up and it works like a charm :) I guess I was just woried for no reason... Thank you all for the help, I appreciate it so so much!! Now I can finally connect all my devices that I have that use Wi-Fi :)

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

Thank you for letting us know YOU DID IT. As for worrying for "no reason", that is natural when you want to do something you've never done before. Doing something new can be intimidating, but once you jump in and do it your confidence level rises. That's what we are here for, to help you and others gain that confidence so you can do more in the future.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

Congratulations, :thumbsup:

167 @ June 2015

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,745 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

:tophat: Yippee!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#14 steven

steven

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

Wow,

Greg62702, you lost me in all those nomenclatures.

I know how to do a basic router set up, but how do I set up a router so separate users can be blocked from websites.
I know I can block youtube, facebook, or any other site using a router, but then, that blocks everyone.
How would one only block the kids' gadgets from accessing those sites?
A link to an outside site is welcome too, so I can read up on this please.

#15 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:02 PM

Wow,

Greg62702, you lost me in all those nomenclatures.

I know how to do a basic router set up, but how do I set up a router so separate users can be blocked from websites.
I know I can block youtube, facebook, or any other site using a router, but then, that blocks everyone.
How would one only block the kids' gadgets from accessing those sites?
A link to an outside site is welcome too, so I can read up on this please.

It is all out there on the Interwebs.  The ability of blocking people from doing stuff they shouldn't, is as old as there has been PC's with Windows 95 on them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users