Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DDS Scanner Question Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jholland1964

jholland1964

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

I have been told that DDS Scanner is not compatible with Windows 8.1. I have seen it used and used it on Windows 8 without difficulty so was surprised to be told this.

Is this indeed true, that  DDS Scanner is not compatible with Win 8.1 and if that is the case what other tool is recommended?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

DDS is not compatible with Windows 8.1 yet so you cannot get it to run. sUBs has recently advised that he is holding off releasing any working version of his tools for Windows 8.1 which includes both ComboFix and DDS. Meaning he is fully aware of the compatibility issue but needs time for thorough testing to ensure it works safely on that OS.

RSIT (Random's System Information Tool) is an alternative to DDS that works on Windows 8.1....and it comes in 32-bit, 64-bit versions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 jholland1964

jholland1964
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

Thanks so much for your rapid reply and the information. Will keep this in mind and wait to see if there is an eventual update for both of these programs. Of course combofix is rarely used but that is also good to know and will also keep that in mind when and if the need arises for its use.

Will thoroughly study  the RSIT tool in case it is needed for a Windows 8.1 system.

Again, thanks so very much.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

You're welcome.

IMPORTANT NOTE: RSIT, like DDS and OTL is a powerful tool to help diagnose the presence of undetected malware in known hiding places. RSIT provides comprehensive logs with specific details about various areas of a computer's system, files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection. Using it correctly relies on trained experts to interpret the log entries, determine what needs to be fixed and plan a strategy for disinfection. Using such tools requires advanced knowledge about the Windows Operating System and can cause system damage if used incorrectly. If you do not have advanced knowledge about computers or training in the use of these tools, you should NOT attempt to use them or fix anything without consulting an expert as to what to fix.

#5 jholland1964

jholland1964
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

Oh absolutely, without a doubt!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

:thumbup2:

#7 jholland1964

jholland1964
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

One more question concerning RSIT. When it is used and no longer needed, then how is it Uninstalled? I did not find any instructions for removal of the tool itself.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

Download OTC by OldTimer and save to your Desktop.
  • Double click on the OTC icon on your desktop.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
    If you receive a UAC prompt asking if you would like to continue running the program, you should press the Continue button.
  • Click on the green CleanUp! button.
  • Click Yes when prompted to Begin cleanup process.
  • When it has finished, OTC will ask you to restart the computer.
-- Doing this will remove many specialized tools downloaded and used for malware removal. If OTC does not delete itself, then delete the file manually when done.
-- Any leftover logs, files, folders or tools remaining on your Desktop which were not removed can be deleted manually (right-click on it and choose delete).

#9 jholland1964

jholland1964
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

Thank you again for the rapid reply!

I do have two other questions but one concerns an odd occurrence with DDS scanner and another concerns Junkware Removal Tool Both have happened on the same computer running Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 64bit

Should I begin two other topics? 

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

No you can ask them here.

#11 jholland1964

jholland1964
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

Ok, helping a user who's MBA-M scan found and removed 2 PUP.Optional.Conduit entries. She ran DDS scanner but it did not show the Installed programs in the Attach.txt log.

She ran AdwCleaner without difficulty, it found and removed 4 folders and 30 registry keys. 29related to Conduit and one for Zugo.

She is using AVAST Free, it IS turned off completely.

She then tried Junkware Removal Tool, but it would not run, all she saw was a brief black flash and then nothing.

It was "suggested" though I did not have her do it because I wasn't sure if it would work, to rename the file and try again.

Instead she removed JRT, downloaded and ran Rkill, which found nothing, immediately downloaded a new copy of JRT with the same results, quick black flash and that was it. She is running as Administrator too.

Had only seen one other time when JRT would not run, sometime last year and the fault was in the program. I ran this one myself without difficulty today.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

AdwCleaner and JRT were specifically created to search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) and other junkware to include many related registry entries (values, keys). DDS' Attach.txt tells us more about the OS & the current landscape of the machine. It does include a section for installed programs but not all of them show up in Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features by design...depends on who created them as some vendors write installation routines so their program will not be included in the Add/Remove list. Remember DDS is primarily looking for malicious items which does not always include PUPs because of how they are defined.

There have been a few reported instances to the developer where JRT would not run properly or users only saw a brief flash. Sometimes there isn't a clear explanation as to why without the developer having access to more specific information.

You can always ask a question (leave a comment/suggestion) on Thisisu's JRT Blog.

#13 jholland1964

jholland1964
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

Thanks again for the rapid response. I am very familiar with DDS and did know occasionally some programs did or didn't show in the Installed Programs list but had never seen a full explanation as to why some programs show in the logs but not in the Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features or vice/versa.

I just had never seen a DDS Attach.txt log where the area beneath ==== Installed Programs ====================== was totally blank like this one was so I was surprised at that.

The DDS log itself didn't show any malware, but the Attach.txt log did show a hijacked host file, which has been repaired. We thought maybe that could have been a reason for the JRT problem but it made no difference after the repair of the host file.

I certainly will check out Thisius JRT Blog. Thanks for the link!

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

You're welcome.