Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 backup/system image ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

Now that my machine is purring I am interested in a good system image that is bootable.  I will perform this image on an internal HD using a docking station and put the HD away until the next image.  I have looked at several programs that perform these images but just read this BC tutorial for using the Win 7 backup/image.  Very informative and I'm willing to try it.  I also read a couple of the other suggested tuts as well.  I do have a couple of questions if someone can answer them.  

1. Can the drive where the image is stored be partitioned to use for backing other data or should it be dedicated to the Win 7 image backup?

2. Will a new image overwrite the old?

3. I want to make sure that the image will be able to boot and replace the system on the main system drive if necessary.  

Thanks for any information provided.

Edited by hamluis, 08 February 2014 - 12:07 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Protozoa

Protozoa

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

The free Active@ Disk Image software i talk about in your other thread would do just what you need. Save full HDD back up as single file & store other files on the same external HDD. Make sure the drive your going to backup to is bigger than the one your backing up because if not how would a full back up fit.

Edited by Protozoa, 09 February 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#3 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

Yes I have it linked but I'm looking at all options and wanted the questions answered specifically about the Windows backup in Win 7.  I see this thread was moved from the Win 7 forum to here so I assume it was deemed to be in the wrong forum.  Hopefully I can get these specifics answered about the backup in Win 7.

#4 Protozoa

Protozoa

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

Now that my machine is purring I am interested in a good system image that is bootable.  I will perform this image on an internal HD using a docking station and put the HD away until the next image.  I have looked at several programs that perform these images but just read this BC tutorial for using the Win 7 backup/image.  Very informative and I'm willing to try it.  I also read a couple of the other suggested tuts as well.  I do have a couple of questions if someone can answer them.  

1. Can the drive where the image is stored be partitioned to use for backing other data or should it be dedicated to the Win 7 image backup?

2. Will a new image overwrite the old?

3. I want to make sure that the image will be able to boot and replace the system on the main system drive if necessary.  

Thanks for any information provided.

1: Yes, the Windows system image backup process will create a folder name WindowsImageBackup in the root of the HDD you selected no reformatting will occur. You could use the same HDD for saving other files just like you would normally just don't touch the WindowsImageBackup folder or you could screw up the backup.

2:Yes, When you backup again it will save over the old one. You could just move or rename the WindowsImageBackup if you want to save a specific backup. Example OLDWindowsImageBacku020914 to change the selected HDD back location you click change settings.

XCgSGT2.png

3: The image that windows 7 File Recovery creates is not bootable like a boot disk you would  use Windows System Repair Disc to restore the back in a boot environment.

How to create a Windows System Repair Disc

Link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-a-windows-system-repair-disc/

edP7N5A.jpg

#5 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for your answers.  I believe I read in one of the other tuts yesterday that this image can be copied to the system hard drive and replace the original system.  Is that correct?  

The tut you linked is one I looked at yesterday.  I have my document backup well in hand doing a bi-weekly back up to two different hard drives.  I would like to not have to re-install programs should I have a failure.

#6 Protozoa

Protozoa

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for your answers.  I believe I read in one of the other tuts yesterday that this image can be copied to the system hard drive and replace the original system.  Is that correct?  

The tut you linked is one I looked at yesterday.  I have my document backup well in hand doing a bi-weekly back up to two different hard drives.  I would like to not have to re-install programs should I have a failure.

I don't know about doing it manually the Windows System Repair Disc does it for you. 

Edited by Protozoa, 09 February 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#7 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

Ok thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users