Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Using More Bandwidth than ISP Allows

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 EchoSRP

EchoSRP

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:00 AM

So, I have one of the slowest connections in the USA, a 1.5 megabit bandwidth package (0.1875 megabytes), because it's the only service offered where I live. In use, my download actually always tops out at 150 kilobytes per second, and my upload at 45 kilobytes per second.

Knowing that information, this is where the strange part comes in. I was testing some random malware crap in sandboxie to see what it would do, and my resource monitor is suddenly telling me that my network is managing to receive/send 8 megabits per second to several remote addresses consistently! I very frequently monitor my network from resource monitor, and have never seen it go above 1 Mbps on that chart.

There are also no other computers on my LAN for this data to be shared with, and I'm wired directly to the modem/router combo device.

How can I possibly be receiving/sending 6 times what my ISP is able to allow to me, just through this malware? I feel like if a malware program is allowing me extra bandwidth, I should be able to have a program that ISN'T malware allow me this extra bandwidth to use for my own desires.

Edit: I played around some more and managed to get a screen cap of the extra bandwidth it's using; although, it's only 5 Mbps in this image. Still a good deal over my 150 KB max download.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bgkql5kkanuaz4e/resourceMonitorMalware.png

(Click the image in the link to zoom in to be able to actually read the screen)

Edited by EchoSRP, 08 February 2014 - 04:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EchoSRP

EchoSRP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

Sorry for double-post, but it appears I can no longer edit the OP.

Why was this moved to "Am I infected? What do I do?" Clearly I am not in need of assistance with getting this stuff off. It's all stuck inside the protective bubble of Sandboxie, as I did mention. I just wanted to know how this malicious program  could use bandwidth far above what is allocated to my modem by my ISP.

And really, no one has any insight on this? I've already hunted through Google for ages, and can't find another occurrence of anything like this happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users