Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the oobe in C:\Windows\System32\oobe

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:14 AM

I found this while browsing my Windows Vista directory (I was bored) and came across that file went into it and clicked on Setup.exe to see what it would do gave me an error, then I clicked on the msoobe.exe file and it came to what looks like the setup for Windows Vista. I looked it up on the internet but all I found was a bunch of computer jargon (crap). Could someone explain to me in laymans terms what that file is, as I am afraid to go further in fear of screwing up Windows Vista. As I can't post a screenshot because for some reason it wont work but HERE is a link to a picture of what it looks like when I click on msoobe.exe (sorry if it doesn't work, I had to Google image search it). ANY info is helpful as I am very flustered with this!

EDIT: THIS is actually exactly what it looks like!

Edited by AlexSmithFanning, 08 February 2014 - 01:19 AM.

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:06 AM

msoobe is the Windows product activation exe... I wouldn't mess with that mate.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:06 AM

MSOOBE means Microsoft Out of box experience. It is basically used for activating Windows. I will not mess with it if I were you.

#4 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:46 AM

WOW, glad I came here before I did something stupid. Thanks guys! (And sorry for all the questions lately, I am just naturally VERY curious person. Of course that's not always good when it comes to computers).  :apple:  And just a little question, what would happen if I executed it and went through with it? Would it get deactivated?

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:01 AM

Who knows?... proprietary code. try it and find out ... lol  (no, not really, don't do this)

It's great that you are curious as to what is going on/inside your machine. I have had many discussions with my collegues about how people don't explore their OS past the shortcuts. Funnily enough, it is the people who did it 10-15 years ago who the the biggest problem. A little knowledge is worse than none, in many situations.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

WOW, glad I came here before I did something stupid. Thanks guys! (And sorry for all the questions lately, I am just naturally VERY curious person. Of course that's not always good when it comes to computers).  :apple:  And just a little question, what would happen if I executed it and went through with it? Would it get deactivated?

Backup your Windows activation first, upload the backup to cloud storage. Then you can explore.

http://directedge.us/content/abr-activation-backup-and-restore

#7 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

Thank you for all the feedback! I might just try to do something really stupid! This little laptop that I am using right now has Windows XP on it. Wonder what would happen if I executed it on that machine? (As I do not care what happens to it because I have Linux Puppy on it and the internet on the Windows XP side don't work). I am going to try it! Who knows, It might make me win the lottery. :hysterical:

#8 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

Well... This is very odd. I shut It down and then went into Windows and executed the file that I copied to my flash drive and put on the same directory on this computer. It showed the same message except it said "Windows XP SP3 Out-Of-Box-Experience. Click next to continue". THAT BLEW MY MIND!

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

Running the MSOOBE again will hose your computer up. It did mine, and it corrupted my profile to the point I had to reinstall Windows.

#10 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

So how exactly did it "hose" up your computer? What did it do to make the profile get corrupted?

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

It removed my profile and deleted a lot of stuff so I had to reformat it.

#12 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

Oh, Thank you cryptodan. That's kinda weird, you would think Microsoft wouldn't put something that would do something like that on their operating system. Idiots.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

Its there as it is called during installation for initial user set up and configuration.

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

Microsoft doesn't want you digging around in your OS... Many things under the hood are dangerous and obsolete. I've seen people go insane trying to understand why all this junk is in their machines, then thinking that they have threats/ malicious programs installed.

#15 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

So they just leave crap in there that (1) takes up space that you could use for important things (Like Linux), (2) things that inexperienced users could get themselves into trouble with, (3) unstable system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users