Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shutting off randomly, battery problems, possible locking up (solved)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tylersloeper

tylersloeper

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

This is not a question, this a description of how I solved the above problem in my case. I searched the web extensively, and only found the eventual  solution by chance while messing around on my own. This is included for the benefit of those that follow. This was for Windows 7 on my Qosmio Toshiba.

Symptoms:

- Computer shuts off randomly, but especially while browsing, and esp. during video games, or playing videos.

- Computer will not restart after shutting off, until being completely unplugged (if necessary even from the battery).

Diagnostics:

1. My computer shuts off randomly (and or shuts off while the battery is still in).

- but

> I have ruled out the PSU as a problem

> I have ruled out overheating

> I have ruled out the CPU

* Then

+ Seriously consider the possibility that the problem is software related.

I refused to believe that this problem was software related because it made no sense to me that it could be. I disassembled my computer and looked at everything, and nothing was wrong. As for as I could tell the bios was all working. I knew the problem was not PSU related (the power cuts) because they would happen even if the battery was in. I knew the problem was not heat related because my computer could withstand a stress test and would not turn off.  Finally windows started locking up and I was convinced that the cpu or motherboard must be failing. No.

When I went on my ubuntu (linux) side after my windows had pretty much died, I was shocked to find that everything worked perfectly. No lock up,not power cuts, no nothing. This is how I realized that my problem was actually software related. Therefore seriously consider the possibility if something similar is happening to you. Obviously some questions still go unanswered. For example why could the computer not reboot after a random shut off, unless it was completely disconnected? I still don't know, but this much should get you up and running in the meantime.

Take care.

I will post some useful diagnostic links later.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

Well...I read through everything and I would have to question your statement that anything was "solved"..the fact that a linux O/S worked doesn't prove much, IMO, other than the fact that linux worked where you had problems with XP.  Your Windows partition could have been damaged...you could have had hard drive problems that were evident only on the Windows partition...IMO, a clean install would have been the method I would have used to test whether it was hardware vs O/S or software at the root of the problem.

I note also that you don't indicate a timeline for the linux install...when was it done and has it still held up?

Anyway, glad you think you've narrowed possibilities down.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users