Hello, I am brand new to this forum. I am a gamer and my computer is infected with a virus. I had no noticeable issues until one day I tried starting up my computer from sleep mode and it froze.
At the time I got this virus I had not downloaded anything recently and I only have visited websites that I have been used to visiting for a while now. Now it's been one week of trying to fix it myself and I need help. Here are the details:
I have....Windows Vista 64 bit. Computer is a Dell XPS.
Problems from Day 1 of this virus
- Computer locks up on shutdown
- Computer locks up when trying to scan with anti-virus software in normal mode
- Computer locks up sometime after start up / Unable to run outside of safe mode
- A [Paladin] window pops up in the bottom tray of my desktop and then vanishes a second later. It does not appear in my list of programs
- Explore.exe constantly rising in memory upon start up (has since been fixed? It averages out at about 28k)
- All my system restore points wiped
- Adwcleaner was somehow removed? (I was initially unable to reinstall it but have been able to recently)
- Several corrupted files that resulted in a massive stream of error messages on start up. I have been able to repair most of these. (Presumably, at least. I don't get anymore error messages now.) (Some of the error messages contained: propys.dll , wer.dll , ODBC32.dll)
What I have done so far:
- Malwarebytes is up to date and after several scans has turned up nothing.
- Spybot Search and Destroy was able to remove 42 entries of malware
- Avast found 1 virus (currently quarantined) which it said was Paladin. However, the log lists multiple entries in the chest with [Uncomfirmed] as their names. The [Paladin] program box still pops up if I attempt to run on normal mode.
- After quarantining virus, Avast prompted to do a boot-time scan. I accepted and....the boot scan did not run.
- MRT has found 1 infected file in Full Scan. It locks up whenever it tries to scan this file: ( D:\dell\Image\Factory.wim\Windows\Help\Windows\en-US\mail.wmv ) Scanning C and D separately produces no results.
- Installed and ran Hitman Pro. No results.
- Installed RKill and ran malwarebytes again. No results.
- Installed and ran Super Antispyware. Only found cookies.
- Installed AVG...would not scan properly in safe mode and immediately locked up my computer on trying to scan it.
- Downloaded Anvira Antivirus....however it was unable to install.
- Re-downloaded, installed, and successfully used Adwcleaner to clean my registry
I have looked up about Paladin and how it masquerades as an anti-virus. However, many of the things previously described concerning Paladin has not been the case for me. It has not completely disabled my antivirus or antimalware programs. It doesn't appear in my programs list. It doesn't try to trick me into thinking it's an anti-virus software.
I am unsure if there are other viruses on the computer besides Paladin. The only scanner that's currently picking up any sort of threat is MRT...but I can't complete the scan so....completely stumped on what to try next.