Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

more (annoying) hard drive questions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 irekkin

irekkin

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:58 PM

over the past couple weeks I have posted several questions about some hard drive issues I've had. I got some good advice and I hope I thanked every one who responded. with me , one question always leads to several more, so here they are. (1) I was interested in a dual boot (windows/ Linux) setup. would a drive like this work http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147247. I would use a standard hdd for my pictures, music, downloads, etc. (2) is sata 3 interchangeable with sata 2. (3) my old hdd is a sanyo 1tb. I don't use or need any where near that much capacity. all told i'm only using 66 gb. should I use another 1tb drive or does it really matter. this computer runs windows 7, amd Athlon II x 4 640, asus mother board, built in 6/2010. thanks

progress.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

I will try to answqer your questions.

1. You can dual boot with any HDD as long as there is enough space on it. Your 1TB has more than enough. An SSD is faster than a standard HDD but it isn't a needed expense.
2. If your computer has only SATA2 ports, it will work however you will only get 3GBs per second instead of 6. This is still an improvement.

If you choose to use a standard HDD, I'd use the one you have now. It's better to have too much room than not enough or spending money for a smaller drive. I'd also suggest in either case to leave 10% free space on each partition.

Edited by hamluis, 09 February 2014 - 06:27 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users