Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

64 Bit Processor On 32 Bit Windows?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wickedtoaster

wickedtoaster

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:59 PM

hello all. I recently upgraded my pc from a 5200 nvida geforce to a 6800 nvidia geforce and i also upgraded my old amd sempron 2400+ 32 bit processor to a 64 bit amd athlon 3800+ dual core. I was wondering though cause a lot of people have said that i need to upgrade my windows xp operating system. Right now i have Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 2002 with service pack 2. I mainly use my pc for gaming and i was wondering is it really worth upgrading my operating system, like will it enhance my gameplay and graphics a great deal. If so, should i get Windows XP 64 Bit Proffesional edition or should i wait for Windows Vista? Thanks, your help is appreciated.

Edited by wickedtoaster, 11 May 2006 - 06:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:46 PM

Hello Welcome to BC. On this subject this is a call only you yourself can make. Right now you are using a 32-bit OS in a 64_bit environment. The question is do you want to spend the money on Windows XP 64-bit and then when Vista comes out spend some more money? You have to remember when the new OS comes out it will take about 9 months to a year to fix a lot of the little glitches in Vista.

There is one thing you can do. If you or someone you know is a college student you might be able to purchase a students copy thru the local University very cheap, a friend just bought Windows XP Pro 32-bit for $14.00 which was an upgrade and it included Windows XP Pro upgrade 64-bit. this works out to $7.00 a piece. Not bad and I ended up with the 64-bit upgrade version for nothing he just gave it to me. Like I said, "Get a student to buy it for you." It is perfectly legal. The universities will not sell it to anybody that is not either a student or works as a faculty member and they will only sell them one package.

#3 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:18 PM

You dont need to upgrade the OS like i have 32 bit windows with a 4600+ AMD Athlon 64 it just wont be able to run ne 64 bit programs cause u need a 64 bit OS. Hope this helps

PS: Welcome to BC
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#4 wickedtoaster

wickedtoaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:03 PM

thanks all

0 user(s) are reading this topic