Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can hanging internet also cause computer to hang?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

Hi guys, my internet has had very frequent and extended hanging periods where nothing loads but the net itself is still connected; for example I can still play online guys almost fine. Web browsing is another issue. I use Chrome and Opera, and both will hang from loading things about every 2 minutes. The hanging can last up to 60 seconds. All the while, I'm using cmd to ping servers, and they're pinging back no problems at all, however the speed test shows an entirely different story.

During the hang:

ss_zps8c716d97.jpg

After the hang:

ss0_zps1d9f0005.jpg

Couple of minutes later, another hang:

ss2_zpsf1437614.jpg

But here is the strange part. During the periods where my internet is hanging, my computer will hang too. Opening My Videos or Documents will hang for as long as it does to load a webpage. Games will hang too. Opening media player, etc. After starting up trying to opening anything can take forever and often will cause programs to stop responding. Even trying to get the task manager open during this start-up hanging period (which can last as long as 4 or 5 minutes) doesn't work. However, if I disable the wireless, my computer doesn't slow one bit. Start up is lightening as usual. Programs open in a flash. No hanging, no issues in the absolute slightest. Then, as soon as I enable the wireless again, the computer starts hanging. 

At first I thought maybe a virus. I've done scans with my Eset virus scanner and nothing. I downloaded Panda Cloud Scanner, it found 2 registry entries from Malware which it removed. I downloaded Malwarebytes, it found a couple more malware and removed them, and so far my computer seems clean. However, hanging problems still persist. 

I'm at a bit of a loss. I remember years ago my desktop used to hang during LANs. Running things were slow, games would take ages to load. But then if I disabled the LAN, the computer acted normal again. I always had a feeling maybe the computer was trying so damn hard to find an internet connect over the LAN that just wasn't there, that it was literally making my entire computer hang up. I could never exactly figure out why, but for some reason it just seemed like that is what was happening. I wonder if with the hanging of my internet connection, whether the same thing is happening now?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by sniperNZSAS, 07 February 2014 - 04:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:01 AM

Update: Okay so I updated my windows, reinstalled some drivers, scanned with every malware/antivirus I could get and somehow, inexplicably, my computer is working good as normal again, along with my internet. Nothing hangs anymore.

But my girl friends computer, which is identical to mine, is still having the problems. I've done exactly the same as I did on mine, but hers is still hanging. Again, as soon as we disable any network connection on it, the computer behaves perfectly. Once a network connection is made, whether wireless or ethernet, the hanging periods come back; not just browsing the internet, but opening files, even bringing up the drop menu on folders. I honestly am beat on this. Any help guys would be greatly appreciated.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

This probably comes under the heading 'Clutching at straws', but I am trying to think of common factors, and about the only one I can see is the router.

I am not a networking expert, but I was trained in the gentle art of electronic fault finding, and where you have two systems showing a fault condition you look for the common factors. Any chance you could use a substitute router to test this ?

Against that, you say you have carried out various updates and so on on your own computer and it is connecting perfectly well now. And that you carried out the same work on your girlfriend's. I have no intention whatsoever of insulting you, but did you do everything to her computer that you did to your own ?  It is surprisingly easy to miss out one of the steps when doing this sort of thing (it's called experience !).

As to the question in your topic title, I would not have thought that any WLAN could absorb so much processing power as to slow a computer down so dramatically. It would also be informative, the next time your girlfriend's computer hangs, to run the speed test on both computers. After all, your ISP cannot be delivering different bandwidths at the same time.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:24 PM

Hi Chris,

When it was just my computer having the problems I tried another router and the problem still existed. I've done the same steps on my girlfriends laptop for as much as I can remember. The main problem is I have no idea what I did to make my computer run as normal.. I just played around until it kind of just came right. I've done everything I can think of and her computer still hangs even though mine is going fine.

When her computer hangs I run a speed test and it hangs until it just pops up as finished and shows a really slow speed. Meanwhile as I say my computer is still running perfectly fine. It's got to be a software thing but I just don't know what :(

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

The main problem is I have no idea what I did to make my computer run as normal.

This is a normal human condition !

Actually, I am getting good at this straw clutching business, and your mention of updates triggered a thought. The trouble is it may give you some very tedious work. If you click 'Start / Control panel / Windows update', at the top left hand side of the updater screen there is an option 'Update history'. This gives a complete list of all the updates installed since Adam was a lad. It would be worth checking the one list against the other to see that both computers have received the same updates.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

Good idea Chris, will try and let you know. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users