Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving from Win XP Prof to Win 8

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jhonni107

jhonni107

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

Are us basic windows xp users in for a shock with using windows 8? I resent that I was forced to buy new computer with pre-installed windows 8, I have the software as a gift, but I hear that it operates very differently from win xp. is there anything special that I need to know about using it, am I going to just stare at the screen and say what now? I taught myself everything about pc's and learned win xp quickly are there major differences? microsoft site was not a big help with free info. I do know there is no control panel and that makes me nervous. sorry if i sound rather naive but receiving my new computer win 8 any day now.

jhona

jhona107@nyc.rr.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

There is still a control panel... background functions are still similar. The difference is in the user interface (mostly desktop related), with xp you have a start menu with a list of programs, now in windows 8 programs are tiles on the screen. You can adjust to this new interface but I found it difficult and soon was using keyboard shortcuts.

There is good news! Things like "classic start" or "classic shell" can be installed and you can make the UI work like xp, vista or windows 7 which ever you chose.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Coco2014

Coco2014

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

Windows 8 is designed for tabletes, but you are right , it can be transformed and redesigned with some patches.

There is still a control panel... background functions are still similar. The difference is in the user interface (mostly desktop related), with xp you have a start menu with a list of programs, now in windows 8 programs are tiles on the screen. You can adjust to this new interface but I found it difficult and soon was using keyboard shortcuts.

There is good news! Things like "classic start" or "classic shell" can be installed and you can make the UI work like xp, vista or windows 7 which ever you chose.

I like to play soccer games online and i'm using gta 5 cheats for Grand Theft Auto

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

Bleeping Computer has a tutorials section which contains a Windows 8 category. Many of your questions will be answered there.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-8/

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 February 2014 - 07:19 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:52 AM

I can appreciate your problems - my sister-in-law is making exactly the same transition as you, and finding it something of a culture shock !

As Zingo said, you can install either of the programs he mentions to get a desktop that looks reasonably the same as XP's or win 7's but my own advice would be to get the Win 8.1 patch / update / service pack / new version - call it what you will, I have seen it called all four !  It's a free download from the Windows Apps store, which as far as I know is the only place to get it. But be warned, it is a BIG download and can take quite a while to download and install. Find something else to do while it is going on.

The advantage of 8.1 is that it gives you the ability to boot to a desktop that looks very like the ones you are used to, icons and all. You still won't have a start menu, but with correct use of icons you can get away without it. And you still have access to 'Control panel' although the method is different. Move your cursor to the top right hand corner of the screen and a column of symbols will appear, MS calls these 'Charms'. Don't ask me - I have never worked for MS ! It's either the bottom or second bottom one, looks a bit like a cogged wheel and is called 'Settings'. Click on this and you will find 'Control panel' listed.

Once you get past the shock of the changes you will find it is a pretty good OS, but the interface was designed primarily for touch screens hence the changes in the interface formerly known as 'Metro' !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

My wife and I both use the Classic Shell and like it.  It does have a start menu as well as the Windows 7 appearance.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users