Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on normal boot, safe mode works fine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bglaze1

bglaze1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

Hi, I am getting a BSOD every time I boot up in normal mode.  If I boot into Safe Mode, I can run forever.  I am not sure what could be causing it.  I tried reinstalling my video driver.  I also ran memory diagnostics, and it reported that everything was fine.  

Any ideas?  I captured the BSOD log and will paste it below to see if that can help pinpoint the problem.  Almost every time I see the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA string.  I have no idea what that could mean.  Thanks in advance for any help.  I desperately need to get my computer back on its feet.  Thanks again.

Attached Files

• Attached File  BSOD.txt   45.11KB   2 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:35 PM

Since this isn't occurring in Safe Mode I would suggest running a Clean Boot to see if this is a problem with a Service or a startup item.  You will know if it is a Service after you reboot in step 3b, if it is a service this problem will not reoccur in normal mode.

***This is a diagnotic tool for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.  This will not repair your computer, but it may point to where the problem lies so that a repair can be made.***

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Step 1

(1)  Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

(2)  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

afterstart_zps02764513.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

Step 2

(1)  Click on the General tab.   

(2)  Click the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zps77b1ef82.png

Step 3

(1)  Click on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

(3)  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Apply, then OK.  Click on Restart in the window that opens.

Caution:  By disabling the Services your antivirus will not be active, for this reason I suggest that this process not be run while online.

msconfig2_zpsef3c4759.png

If the problem does not reoccur after the reboot continue with the process of elemination to find the Service which is causing this in Option A.  If the problem does reoccur after the reboot go to Option B.

Option A

**The following is a process of elimination to find the Service or Startup item that is causing your problem**.  

*  If the problem does not reoccur after the restart go back to Services and place check marks in half of the boxes and restart the computer.  

*  If the problem still does not continue return to Services and remove the check marks that were added, then place check marks in the remaining half of the boxes and restart the computer.

If the problem resumes after a restart in one of these halves, you will procede with this process in the half where the problem occurs.  If this does not continue in either half you should repeat this process in Sartup

*  In the half of the Services that the problem is found, remove one check mark at a time and restart the computer to see if that  is the Service causing the problem.  Continue to do this with the Services untill the service causing this problem is  found.

Option B

Search Startup itmesIf the problem is not found in Services, remove all of the check marks, click on the Startup tab and repeat the search process there.

Caution:  If this is a laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

If this problem is found post the Service or Startup item that is causing it. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

Bug check 0x50 usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).

Another common cause is the installation of a faulty system service.

Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume.

Doing what dc3 mentions will help rule out software so it is worth trying first...

If it does not help then, from a command prompt (CMD) run the following command: Chkdsk /f /r (this will require reboot to run)

If you have installed anything recently (anti-virus) I would recommend removing this in safe mode and rebooting, see if that solves the problem. From control panel find programs and features, you can sort this list by recently installed in windows 7. Check if anything was installed just before the BSOD began to occur.

Edited by zingo156, 07 February 2014 - 03:46 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 bglaze1

bglaze1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for the ideas.  I tried to narrow down the services.  I enabled one half.  Rebooted it passed.  So I enabled the other half, and rebooted and it passed.  I did the same with the startup and it still passed.  When I enabled all the services (with the startup disabled) it would fail.  So it almost seems like a combination of things is causing the problem.  Any other ideas?  I tried to run the chkdsk and it ran for several hours and when I came back in it was rebooting over and over in this bad state.   Is there a log somewhere where I could see the results?  I looked in the event viewer and looked for winlogon but I didn't see anything.  Any other thoughts?

#5 bglaze1

bglaze1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

So I figured out that there were symantec entries in both halves of the services list I was disabling.  So I only turned on those 4 services that were symantec things and it was causing the BSOD.  Then I turned on all other services and disabled the 4 symantec services and it is up and running now and hasn't had the BSOD in 20 minutes.  

Is there a way to repair the symantec services?  Or what does that mean?  Is my symantec corrupted?

Thanks again for your help. 

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

Since you have found the culprit go back to System Configuration and click on the General, then click on Normal Startup, click on OK, then restart your computer.

Symantec is Norton.  Norton is notorious for being a system resource hog, and often does not play well with others.  If this was my computer I would uninstall it and install Avast free.  If you do decide to uninstall Norton you should use their uninstall tool.

Before you do anything further please do the following.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:[list]

[b]List Installed Programs

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Double click on the download and choose to run the program.

A screen similar to the one below will open, click any key to run the program.

securitycheck_zpscfb86945.png

When the scan is finished you will have a log similar to the one below, copy and then paste your log in your next post.

securitylog_zps5e004078.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 bglaze1

bglaze1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:17 PM

A couple of questions, you mentioned to uninstall Symantec, but then said before you do anything further do these two logs.  Was that intended to be done before I uninstalled or after I unintalled?  

What is the mini tool box and the security check supposed to do?   Also the log that you posted was removed by the time I got back to see this.  

Is it just the output of it?  What are we looking for?  Is there something else going on possibly?

Again, thanks for the help. 

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

Both programs will provide us with a list of programs installed and their up to date status.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users