Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop will not start

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Priista

Priista

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

My 2 1/2 year old HP Pavilion DM4 running Windows 7 failed to start from sleep.  The behavior was two audible clicks about 3/4 of a second apart, the power light on the cover would come on during the 3/4 second interval, and that sequence would repeat every 5 seconds.   By putting my ear close to the exhaust vents I could hear the faint sound of a motor starting up during the 3/4 second period, but stopping at the end of that brief period.   The power button had no effect whatsoever.

Googling for a solution for a non-starting laptop I found a recommendation to discharge electrostatic electricity from the laptop.  Unfortunately that procedure required removing the battery which I was unable to do because the button on the cover securing the battery was broken. 

Since the laptop was powering-up momentarily every few seconds using-up battery power, I decided to unplug the power cord and let the battery discharge.  After about 48 hours I found the laptop completely dead, and pressing the power button had no effect.       

I plugged-in the power cord, waited a few seconds, pressed the power button, and Voila!, working laptop.  I restarted the machine, put it to sleep, put it in hibernation.  Operation resumed normally afterwards in every case.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

I see this quite frequently, in a lot of cases, removing the battery and unplugging, then plugging back in will fix the issue. Since you could not remove the battery, running it completely dead seems to have a similar effect. Most of the time I saw this with batteries that were getting "older" and were not holding a full charge anymore. If it continues to happen frequently, I would recommend buying a new battery, make sure if you do buy a new battery to get a genuine HP, sometimes there are problems with generics.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

This is a common issue on HP laptops.  You may be good for another 2 1/2 years or it may happen again sooner.  I'd investigate a way to release the battery in case it happens again.  Since this is a consumer machine is is probably out of warranty, but if it is still within warranty I'd recommend having the battery release repaired.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users