Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is right for me?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tld6008

tld6008

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

I have an older pentiem 4 w/ 512 mb ram. Recently on the XP forum it was suggested I look at Lubuntu. I have been reading and was leas to openSUSE. Can anyone suggest either one over the other. I want to use the computer pretty much like I have been with Windows XP... just for general use.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

You could try Linux Lite

https://www.linuxliteos.com/download.html

If you want a fast  you might consider puppy linux   Try Retro Puppy 5.7.1 Fatty it has everything you need ( including wine) and will usualy boot in about 1 minute.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1550751678&t=91425

Never tried lubuntu or openSuse

Edited by NickAu1, 07 February 2014 - 08:19 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 tld6008

tld6008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

Now I am more confused than ever

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

Of the two you mention, Lubuntu is basically Ubuntu with the much less resource intensive LXDE desktop environment.  The included software packages are also a bit different compared to the main release (e.g. Abiword and GNUmeric instead of Libre Office, Chromium is included instead of Firefox etc.).  I would say it's a pretty good one to try if you are new to Linux and it should run well on a PC of your spec..

OpenSUSE I would say is a bit less newbie friendly than the Ubuntu derivatives with less hand holding.  For example, the YaST configuration tool which is unique to SUSE is quite powerful but not the easiest thing to get to grips with.  While Lubuntu software centre makes it very easy to find and install software you want, the equivalent in OpenSUSE is not as easy to use.  I've found myself more often than not installing software via their website instead though (through "1 Click Installers").  The OpenSUSE website is pretty good.  One last thing, OpenSUSE is not a lightweight distro and I think it might be a bit slow on old PC's...

Others I would also consider are Linux Mint XFCE.  There is also Zorin OS (the Lite version runs on low spec computers) which seems to be picking up in popularity, but I've never used it.  These two are both Ubuntu derivatives but have been tailored to give a more familiar look and feel to Windows users.  They should also run on your hardware OK.

Edited by jonuk76, 07 February 2014 - 09:58 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:54 AM

Now I am more confused than ever

Lubuntu, Linux Lite and Peppermint are all "Lighter" derivatives of ubuntu.  Just choose one. The only caveat with them being you should really up your RAM to 1GB to get decent perfomance.  Any of the three is easier to learn than either the below or OpenSUSE, IMHO.

Another I have had great success with just the setup you mention -- P4, 512MB RAM-- is antiX, a true-Debian derived distro. Honestly, if you do not mind a little command line work, antiX is perhaps the best for your system as it now stands. (Or up your RAM as much as possible).

Welcome!

Edited by pane-free, 08 February 2014 - 03:57 AM.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#6 tld6008

tld6008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:52 AM

OK after reading about the recent suggestions I have settled on either Lubuntu or Linux Lite. I will report back after I install which I hope to do today

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:04 AM

Lubuntu runs great on many low-spce computers & would be a good choice to default to when end of life of XP takes place on 04/08/2014, which is one month away from this date.

Have ran Puppy, but not installed it to disk (per it's docs, intended to run from RAM), ran from Live CD only. Great for making transactions on most any computer. And with tutorials, can actually perform resue operations on Windows, including virus scans.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 tld6008

tld6008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

This is perfect timing as I stated I would report back . I found another .5 gig of rambus ram so now have 1 gig. I installed an older 120g HD for the Linux OS. So far I've tried Lubuntu and it had too much required user interface for me, I couldn't even get my wireless connected. So I loaded Linux MInt and have used that for about 1 week. Mint is definately usable but there were still programs I could't easily find that I am used to running. Then I heard about Zorin so I loaded that last night since hearing that its supposed to be a Windows look a like and will run many Windows based programs. My first impression is luke warm, I will have to fiddle with it. I had a hard time installing Firefox and this is not what I am looking for - a hard time.

I'll let everyone know where I end up, I appreciate any comments as I still am lost in the woods.

Tld6008

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,067 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

I had a hard time installing Firefox

Never knew installing stuff from the Package manager was hard. Find the item click on it linux takes care of the rest.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#10 tld6008

tld6008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

Thats what I did but the DL kept stopping and would display errors that I did not understand. I just DL'd deluge and it the screen never showed that the DL completed . THe status bar stopped about half way and I finally cancelled the window but come to find out it did download the program. I have tried twice to DL the recommended updates approx 60 MB but it hang also and I have a fast conneciton 160 mbps

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,067 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:59 PM

For Zorin Os update upgrade.

Open and Type in a terminal.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Additionally you can run:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

apt-get commands like "update" and "upgrade" specifically do need an internet connection.
Update synchronizes your list of available packages with the servers in source repositories.
Upgrade then downloads & installs any newer versions of your installed progs.

Add the Firefox repo:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa

Update the system:

sudo apt-get update

Install Firefox:

sudo apt-get install firefox

This is it. Happy Firefox Browsing.

The latest Mozilla Firefox version is Firefox 27,

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-next
 sudo apt-get update
 sudo apt-get install firefox

I think. I do not use Unbuntu/Zorin, If I am wrong somebody will correct me.

Edited by NickAu1, 06 March 2014 - 11:34 PM.

Arch Linux .

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:57 AM

NickAu1, looks good to me!

I've been using Mint/Ubuntu (mainly Mint), since 2009. The terminal is a lifesaver & the commands for many issues can be found through Google searches of what's needed. Though it can seem to intimidate at first, getting work done/things fixed is far easier via the terminal (same as cmd in Windows). 

That's actually the way things used to be, there was no double clicking of .exe files to open things/install apps. Too, having knowledge of the terminal is having more control over the computer, in a very secure way. 

Linux Mint is also one of the more friendly distros in the Linux world, great for newcomers & pros alike. As jonuk76 has stated above, the XFCE edition of Mint is great for low spec computers, have installed it on a few myself. It's trimmed down a little, however is a feature filled OS. And far easier for the newcomer than OpenSuse. 

Remember, all of these OS's suggested can be ran in Live DVD mode to check for compatibility issues before install. In the past, I've booted from such DVD's to read email, make transactions, anything requiring a secure environment. It's also the best way to try before deciding. Though it will run slower on DVD, you'll still get a feel for how it runs. If a Flash drive installer is used, it's faster. 

Good Luck,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,067 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:41 AM

My Puppy see spec's in my sig. It boots in 30 seconds. Yes terminal is the best.
qwx24z.png

Edited by Blade, 09 March 2014 - 09:28 PM.

Arch Linux .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users