Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange connection issue after 2 people moved possibly shore tel system related

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

The office where I do I.T. had a strange issue today. We had 2 people move positions. They took their computers and shore tel lan phones with them.

This is how the devices connect: The phone is hard wired from the wall (phone has in and out 2 ports), the computer is hard wired from the phone to the computer. The shore tel phones have static IP which are excluded from the dhcp server range and routed to the shore tel server. The computers are set to use DHCP. We have 3 24port poe switches (all connected together from bottom to middle then middle to top)

The phones were able to connect and worked after the move on the new lan connections, however on both computers there was no connection (got an ip but no connection to the internet). I tried linux on both machines thinking maybe software problem, still no connection.

Here is the strange part: A different laptop plugged into the back of either phone would instantly connect and have internet.

I logged into the 3 24port poe switches no issue could be found, in the DHCP server I tried kicking both computers from their ip addresses so they could reconnect.

I ended up re-routing their original lan floor spots to the switches so it was as if they had never moved. Both computers then connected normally.

Maybe a key to the puzzle, one computer (A) was originally in the bottom switch, the other ( B) was in the middle switch. When moved to their new positions (A) was now in the middle switch and ( B) was in the bottom.

Also it seemed on both computers they would not renew to a different lease, for example (A) was on 192.xxx.xx.122 and after release and renew would grab the same lease even though many were open. No device was grabbing 122 before that computer could. I am not sure how but it seems the computer is using a static ip, maybe the shore tel phone is assigning this? I saw no reason for this to be happening.

I did not set this network up and currently I am at a loss. Any ideas?

My thought is that it is something to do with the shore tel phones taking the mac address of the computer and somehow forcing static ip, the shore tel phone server does make use of the phones mac address. Still I would think kicking the computer from the DHCP server and leaving 122 open, it should reconnect and have internet.

EDIT: One other thing, in ipconfig on both computers (when they were not connecting to internet) I could see the correct gateway but could not ping it or would have 100% loss.

Anyway for now the system is working, I now fear any big moves...

Edited by zingo156, 07 February 2014 - 12:48 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

At first I was going to say some kind of wiring loopback like issue in the walls or something. Sometime's the pc will just not pull another IP and you have to release renew manually in the cli and blow it away. Someone long ago may have setup something you're not ware of, could be a HOST file maybe? I don't know without actually being there.

Edited by technonymous, 08 February 2014 - 08:24 PM.

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

It is easier to just move the user info to the new desk phone set, then have them unhook the phones.  As for the computers, if they moved them along with the phones, the issue is with the phone.

First rule of IT, is never let the user move equipment.  Second rule of IT, is to kindly explain to the user that there is a set policy, in how moves are done, and that IT needs to do it, so that the user will not have issues when moved to their new desk or office.

If this is an Active Domain and the fact that you have a VoIP PBX system from the sounds of it, you have a mess to work out.  Personally I would move those phones back where they belong, and place the ones they removed from where they moved to, back to the new desk assignment.

As for the Computers, they should be using a Domain setup, which the computer MAC ID, gets assigned to a Static or Sticky DHCP IP address.

I would say at this point that it is something that you need to be talking to a senior IT manager, not coming here for assistance.  This normally costs my customers $125 per hour, just to go through these situations.  Then another $75 for allowing me to smack the idiot that moved equipment, without IT doing it, over the head with a ruler.

#4 zingo156

zingo156
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

This company is growing but currently has around 200 employees. ~30 are in the office. The computers do connect to a domain with active directory etc... I agree there should be a policy where I.T. only moves computers/electronics we are responsible for. It does seem there is some static ip being assigned somewhere, where that is may take a while to find (suspects: phone or shore tel server). I looked on the shore tel server and found nothing yet. Thanks for the input, I will get to the bottom of this.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

Either the jacks they moved the units to are on a different VLAN group, and the jacks could be assigned to a different Trunk Group.

I would start with checking the VLAN info on the switches, and also Trunk Group information on the PBX.

If moving the phone sets to the old jacks work, then you know that the new LAN jacks are either not connected to the proper switch or assigned to a different VLAn Group on the switch, and/or the jacks are assigned as computer, not phone.

Also I would use a LAN tester,to make sure you have good wire reading, between the jack and the patch panel.

Edited by Greg62702, 09 February 2014 - 04:17 PM.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:14 AM

As Greg mentioned moving a box over you might be completely on a new network. Also the VOIP service might be controlled offsite. Most cases the voip phone just automatically do dhcp, but it's possible to setup static. It can be a number of things and moving boxes just tends to break stuff. Large network like that you should map out the network on paper in a 3 ring binder, so it isn't all just guesswork all the time. Also, tag everything, sticky label everyhting. Yes lan tester absolutely.

#7 zingo156

zingo156
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

I will be mapping it all out this week. It seemed there should be no issue, the phones connected fine, the strange part is: they moved both their phones and their computers, in the new locations their computers would not connect to the internet, however any other computer, (I tried with 2 laptops) would connect instantly and have internet when plugged into the same port from the phones. Linux bootable on their computers failed to connect as well, so it was not something installed that was causing it.This is why I assume somehow shore tel has remembered the computer mac address and assigned a static ip somewhere I currently am unaware of.

#8 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

Our PBX/LAN manager, actually had large posters made up of the road map of the AVR menu, when you call into the office.  She also has a binder with all of the info in it, along with a Spreadsheet.

I would try swapping the patch cord from the original LAN jack, to the new LAN jack, and see if that fixes things.  I know most people will sit there and take the user info on the PBX system, and load their old profile on the new Trunk group they are in, and then make the other associated changes.  But at times it is quicker to just go into the LAN room and move the Patch cords during the move.  Especially if it is the same site, same building.

Now if it is a large campus of a couple of buildings, those buildings are going to have their own LAN infrastructure, along with servers and use VPN for interconnect between the buildings, and should have their own PBX installed.

#9 zingo156

zingo156
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

I have already done this: "I would try swapping the patch cord from the original LAN jack, to the new LAN jack, and see if that fixes things." It worked instantly after. I will be looking further into the switches and mapping for certain, next time there is a move I will be ready!

#10 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

Something is hung up somewhere.  Start with the VLAN setup in the switches, and see if the MAC ID of the phone or NIC of the computer is saved on one of the other VLAN's.  You could also try the good ole ipconfig /flush dns, netsh winsock reset catalog, netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt in the Command Window as Administrator on the affected computer.

Also check the AD server, to see if anything is in there, showing the phone MAC ID and/or Computer NIC MAC ID are showing mapped somewhere else.  If you just plug in the computer, it should connect with the domain and allow you to log into the domain.  These things do make you pull your hair out, when you are trying to chase down ghosts.

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

They may have those jacks terminated on pbx seperate in it's own little world away from everything else. I guess it would matter if you got ip-pbx onsite or cloud based pbx.

Edited by technonymous, 10 February 2014 - 10:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users