Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overheating and BSOD

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 aHeartToCallHome

aHeartToCallHome

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

This peice of crap Windows 7 HP Laptop is about to get on my last nerve.

It overheats frequently, and is NOT doing the things it is supposed to. I got it because I am an artist/gamer. I NEED this peice of junk to be able to have more than one program open at a time without going "NOPE I CAN'T HANDLE IT."

This thing was bought by my uncle and to my knowlege was DAMN expensive. I don't think I have ever been as unhappy with a machine. My old Dell Vista Laptop was better than this.

This morning it encountered its first BSOD... I have no idea why. I know very little about Blue Screens. It happened right before the login screen loaded.

Please tell me what information you need from me. I don't really know, as I am very computer illiterate.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

Hello Heart..... before anything else, is this unit still under warranty? If so, return it immediately. My daughter had the same problem with an HP lap that I purchased for her, and the thing overheated and crashed repeatedly. A return was the only thing that solved the issue. HP exchanged it (after repeated "fixing" in their tech dept. which did nothing to help) and the new one still runs hot and requires a cooling pad to stop the fan from revving into an annoying high pitched whine (to keep the hot system from crashing).

If the unit is not under warranty, then we can take it from there, but no new computer should be overheating, running improperly or BSODing.

Edited by ranchhand1, 07 February 2014 - 12:50 PM.

#3 aHeartToCallHome

aHeartToCallHome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

I hate to give up my computer because I have a bunch of important files on it... Also, the damn thing was bought so that it COULD run heavy graphical things (such as Adobe Flash and computer games) and I am really, really, REALLY angry that it doesn't.

So, you say even the replaced model gets hot? See, this won't do at all, because I need a machine that doesn't get hot. I need to have programs like Adobe Flash, Skype, and heavy graphic stuff in Firefox all open at the same time, PLUS preferably with "room" to spare for other things open that I want. And a 2000$+ machine should be capable of that, shouldn't it?

And I can't even THINK about keeping Second Life (a game) open for any extended period of time without it overheating. What a load of BS.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

Has this overheating problem happened since day 1? Laptops that get used for graphic design or hardware intensive things tend to run hot, the hotter they run the faster the fan moves. More moving air means less time needed for dust to build up. If you have not already done so (if it is out of warranty), I would buy canned air and blow through the intake and exhaust to clean out any built up dust. This should be done monthly for any laptop with high intensity use. I do this for all of my laptops and desktops.

Also with laptops, when using them on a lap you need to make sure you do not block the intake or exhaust air ports (depending on the model this can be anywhere but most of the time intake is on the bottom and exhaust is out the side or back of the laptop). If you block either the intake or exhaust they will overheat. Using a laptop in bed completely blocking the air intake while using resources at 100% is a guarantee overheat situation. Laptops are mobile but they still need to be able to move air. Newer designs have moved intake and exhaust ports to avoid blocking the intake or exhaust by using on a lap or bed etc.

That being said, I have seen more heat related failure issues with hp (especially their dv and g series) than any other brand. This remained true for dv series ~7 years old to current models through windows 7. I can not vouch for their windows 8 machines...

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 aHeartToCallHome

aHeartToCallHome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

Replacing a PC does not answer my question about my files. I have antivirus and Adobe Flash and other important things on this computer. I don't know much about computers, but I NEED to know how I can keep EVERYTHING that's important.

I don't know if it's still in warranty. I will have to ask my uncle.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

Programs will need to be reinstalled. Adobe flash player is free and can be downloaded on any computer. Your antivirus (depending on which it is) will need to be re-installed. If it was purchased, you will need your activation key and possibly the disc for it.

For your personal data: I usually backup everything on the hard drive by making a clone, this is the best practice in the retail world as sometimes people store stuff in the root C:\(random), you can copy your C:\Users directory to an external hard drive but make sure you have permission to all user accounts to get all data there. If you do not feel comfortable copying/backing up data to an external, it might be a good idea to take it to a shop and have someone do it.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 aHeartToCallHome

aHeartToCallHome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

It's not Flash Player, it's the literal Adobe Flash Creative Suite 6 that usually costs around 700$ or something like that (but I got it on student discount). It makes flash cartoons and games, and possibly other things (but I generally use it for fun, and to keep me sane).

So I guess there is no other choice. Well darn. :(

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

You can try to dust the computer out first, it may solve the issue. Still, if it has been overheated even 1 time can cause permanent damage.

Unfortunately Adobe Flash Creative Suite would need to be re-installed from either a disc or downloaded exe and then you would need your key to activate it.

#9 aHeartToCallHome

aHeartToCallHome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:32 PM

I want to cry.

This stupid thing. It has overheated a lot. It overheats every day or every other day.

I need a different type of computer if HP comps are this way. I need luck to convince anyone in my family of that!

Ugh. Be right back, dying.

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

I have had mixed luck with HP, their pro/elite-books seem ok, I have not seen those fail in the same way the DV or G series did.

#11 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

Ok, well then here we go.

First, we really need to know what you have and how the unit is set up. There is a free utility that will do this. Second, we need to know how hot the unit is running as you are using it, and there is a free utility for that.

> Go Here and download the free utility, Speccy, which is a system analyzer, and save to your desktop. You do not need to install it, it runs from the executable file. Click on it, allow a few seconds for it to finish. Then click File\Publish Snapshot. Click Yes, then Copy to Clipboard. In your next post add the link so we can take a look at what you have. Added suggestion: since this scan will also post what temperature your CPU is running  at the time of the scan, let your computer run a while, open up your programs, game, etc. what you normally do when it crashes. Then do the scan.

>Go Here and download the free utility, Open Hardware. Click the gray "Download Open Hardware Monitor 0.6.0 Beta" button. Install it  and leave a link on your desktop. When you are running your computer leave it open and diminish it. Occasionally open it and check what temperature your CPU is running at, then diminish it again. Doing this you will get a good idea of how hot your computer is actually running over a period of time. I have attached a screenshot of the item we are interested in (the red arrow). Let us know.
The reason for all of this is that crashes can be caused by many things, not just overheating. We are checking as many as we can to make sure that is actually the problem.

If it turns out that overheating is the problem, you may think about investing in a cooling tray which blows additional air in the air intake vents to keep the unit cooler. Here are a couple of links:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834992853

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834992913

With Newegg you get 30 days, if you are not happy you can return it. If you call their 800 number usually they will e-mail you a prepaid shipping label with no restocking fee.

Attached File  Snap 2014-02-07 at 14.24.34.bmp   481.24KB   7 downloads

Edited by ranchhand1, 07 February 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#12 aHeartToCallHome

aHeartToCallHome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

Speccy link: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/e3LWZOmsz4i8e1OlcboPG5o

Open Hardware link: http://oi60.tinypic.com/2qitgtg.jpg

Here is what I got. I hope this helps.

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

Max temp is 105 °C you are getting close here: Intel Core i7 3720QM @ 2.60GHz: 86 °C

I would dust it out with canned air and retest temps. If you have an air compressor with a nozzle: https://www.google.com/#q=air+nozzle you can use this but be careful try to use 40psi or less try not to over speed the fan (they can shatter).

Edited by zingo156, 07 February 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

Can you run who crashed (this will potentially tell us what is causing the bsod):

Please download Who Crashed? and save it to your desktop.

Double click whocrashedSetup.exe and choose Run

On Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 machines, when User Account Control asks if you wish to install this program, say YES to install the program on your computer.

Program can also be installed by right click and choosing Run As An Administrator.

On the next screen choose Next and accept the agreement.

Install the program in it's default location C:\Program Files\WhoCrashed (If your primary drive is different from C:, choose your primary drive.)

Choose Next and allow program to create a Start Menu Folder called WhoCrashed and click Next.

Allow program to create desktop icon and click Next.

Now Click Install.

Once the program is installed on your computer system, look for the WhoCrashed icon.png desktop Icon and double click it.

Accept the User Account Control request and the program will open in your screen and should look something like this.

whocrashed.png

Next, Click the Analyze button. analyze.png

An Information Window should appear on your screen prompting you to scroll down your screen.

If a report was generated we would like to have a look at this report.

To do this, click File analyze.png and then choose Export.

Save as WhoCrashedOutput.htm to your desktop.

Open WhoCrashedOutput.htm and copy and paste all of the contents from System Information (local) and Crash Dump Analysis and the Conclusion into your next reply.

#15 aHeartToCallHome

aHeartToCallHome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

Ok, here is what I got for WhoCrashed:

System Information (local)

computer name: CYGNUS
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC, Hewlett-Packard, 181F
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 17070092288 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1937604608

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 2/7/2014 1:55:23 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020714-30825-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: battc.sys (BATTC+0x5848)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8000308F954, 0xFFFFF880039B0898, 0xFFFFF880039B00F0)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\battc.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Battery Class Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 2/7/2014 1:55:23 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: usbvideo.sys (usbvideo+0x681E)
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8000308F954, 0xFFFFF880039B0898, 0xFFFFF880039B00F0)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbvideo.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: USB Video Class Driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Consider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users