Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootable backup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

I want to perform a backup that I can boot in case of a failure of my main HD.  From everything I have read a mirror is the the best way to achieve this.  Would that be the consensus here?  I want to purchase a HD to use in a dock to perform the backup once a month and then store away.  

I have tried Macrium Reflect but wonder what other software is available.  I have had Casper recommended also.  

Thanks for advise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryoganix

cryoganix

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:16 PM

For a home system, making a block-level clone of the hard drive once a month is definitely one of the most guaranteed ways to ensure that all of your data will remain intact. It's certainly slower than backing up only your critical and personal files, but it ensures that every single thing on your computer at the time of cloning is backed up. Another good program that I like to use for making block-level clones is Clonezilla.

#3 Protozoa

Protozoa

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

LSoft makes grate software it has never let me down. There Active@ Disk Image software makes full backup of your HDD with compression, Scheduled backups, password protection and image splitting options with support for USB & CD/DVD boot disk creation. I'm talking about the paid version witch is $39 but well worth it. They have a  Lite (Freeware) but has less features you can. 

http://www.lsoft.net/diskimage.aspx

diskimage-main-screen.gif

#4 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for this information.  It is my understanding which could be totally off base but your have to replicate the image exactly on like hard drive and there can't be any additional partitions on that drive.  Is that correct?

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

No to the partition thing I do it onto another drive with partitions that are not sized the same with no problem. 

Edited by OldPhil, 07 February 2014 - 03:25 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:33 PM

Thanks OldPhil.  Now I have to decide, which program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users