Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

toolbar and other stuff appearing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blbo

blbo

• Validating
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

hi

i had a toolbar appear randomly today,i suspected this was a virus so i ran a mbam scan and it detected 14 PUPs but that was all

i also ran rkill and the log had this:

"Checking Windows Service Integrity: 

* AppMgmt [Missing Service]
 * CSC [Missing Service]
 * CscService [Missing Service]
 * PeerDistSvc [Missing Service]"

i am running windows 8 btw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

What version of RKill did you use? The current version is 2.6.5.0. I know there have been several reports of the missing services in recent versions and Grinler, the developer is aware...has been investigating.

If you used an older version, download the most current and proceed as follows...the steps below require rerunning RKill again.

Please download and use the following tools (in the order listed) which will search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons and other junkware as well as related registry entries (values, keys) and remnants.

RKill created by Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), the site owner of BleepingComputer.
AdwCleaner created by Xplode.
Junkware Removal Tool created by thisisu.

1. Double-click on RKill to launch the tool. A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully. A log file will be created and saved to the root directory, C:\RKill.log. Copy and paste the contents of RKill.log in your next reply.

Important: Do not reboot your computer until you complete the next step.

2. Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.

• Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • After reviewing the log, click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

-- Note: The contents of the AdwCleaner log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you recognize and know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, return to AdwCleaner before cleaning...all detected items will be listed (and checked) in each tab. Click on each one and uncheck any items you want to keep (except you cannot uncheck Chrome and Firefox preferences lines).

Close all open programs and shut down any protection/security software to avoid potential conflicts.

3. Double-click on JRT.exe to run the tool.
Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.

• The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log file named JRT.txt will automatically open and be saved to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste the contents of JRT.txt in your next reply.

4. As a final step, rescan again with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and post the log. They are automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab.

BTW...these toolbars are not viruses....please read About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 blbo

blbo
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

im not worried about the toolbars themselves,im worried that they suddenly started appearing randomly

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

The link I posted at the bottom of my reply explains where they come from.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users