Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgading Cpu In My Emachines 3260

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 glensumner

glensumner

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:49 PM

What cpu will 'fit' my motherboard and be a good upgrade? it currantly has an intel celeron D in. I have added an extra 512mb ram there is anther 1gb ( there is only 2 slots so i'll have 1512mb ram after that) in the post, i also have a second 200gb harddrive installed . so What can fit the motherboard and give me a good upgrade, I want to future proof my pc and get some more speed!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:20 PM

Hi glensumner.
Take a look at this page as to what cpu's are supported with the mainboard currently installed in your system. You'll want to identify the board revision # and current bios version.

Edited by HitSquad, 12 May 2006 - 01:21 PM.

#3 glensumner

glensumner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:09 PM

cheers for the reply i'm not sure as to how to use the page you showed me. i'm a bit of a novice in the upgrading field. from what it says on the front of my pc i think that my bus speed is 533MHz but I couldn't see my model no. 3260 ( it's a UK model I've had problems with that before!) I also need advice on what is better than the celeron D that I have aswell, for example is a pentium 4 better or just a different model? from further checking (reading what it says on the front of my machine!) it currantly has celeron D 335 2.8GHz, 256k l2 cache533MHz fsb if this helps identify any more info ? on even more investigation my motherbourd is D845GVSR on evan further investigation a new motherbourd on ebay is on average about 30 I would consider this not too bad if i could change that aswel or would this add more hidden costs such as power supplies, fans etc?

Edited by glensumner, 12 May 2006 - 07:18 PM.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:14 AM

on even more investigation my motherbourd is D845GVSR

Ya, I already knew that. It's on the link I left you. :thumbsup:
To be honest, I wouldn't bother with a mainboard upgrade.
The case will only hold a MicroATX board, which have limited expansion capabilities.
If you want to put a faster cpu in it, I'd go with the P4 3.06 GHz 533 MHz 512 KB.
It'll outrun that celey you have in there and require no bios upgrade.
It'll be plenty quick enough for anything out there and along with the memory upgrade you've already done, you're fine for a few more years.

#5 glensumner

glensumner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:14 PM

cheers thats just what i needed to hear, now to track down the best price!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users