Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAID1 Failed and now my data is gone

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SpeedwayNative

SpeedwayNative

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

I had a RAID1 array (2x2TB Western Digital Green) setup on PC I used for data storage/backup.  My PC must have installed new Windows updates or something, because it rebooted and then right before going into windows, I got an error message saying the the data on both of the drives in the RAID1 array was inconsistent and wanted to run chkdsk.  chkdsk ran and when the PC booted back into windows, my RAID1 array was not present in My Computer, but I could see each drive.  Upon clicking them, I was prompted to Format, which I did NOT do.  I then went into Disk Management and I can see both drives, but they are RAW.  I then found this article:  http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/  about recovering RAW data from an external and thought this method using PartedMagic might work. However even after an advanced search, I still do not see my lost files.  However, I did notice that it looks like 1TB of the useable 1.8TB drive is not free.  But, on the advanced search it still only found 3 files total.

I setup the RAID1 array in BIOS using the SB950 controller on the mobo.  When I went back into BIOS to see what was going on, I realized that somehow the RAID1 array is gone and in order to put the drives back into RAID1, I would need to create the array all over again.  Since this wipes the drives, I have not done it.  

Much of the data on the RAID1 array is very important to me.  I am not wanting to lose it and I am wondering if there are other methods to recover the data without spending an arm and a leg.  ANY and ALL suggestions to try and recover the data are very welcomed, but a free method would be highly appreciated!  

Thank You in advance!

PC specs:

CPU - AMD PII 965

mobo - MSI 990FXA-GD80

8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance RAM

boot drive - Corsair Nova 60GB SSD

Storage RAID1 - (2) 2TB Western Digital Cavial Green

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,781 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

Do you have a USB remote that you could put the drives in and try reading them on another computer?

Thinking about it it probably will not work looking over the steps you have taken.

Edited by OldPhil, 07 February 2014 - 11:34 AM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 SpeedwayNative

SpeedwayNative
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for the response Phil!  I have tried using each drive in an external SATA dock and connecting them internally in another PC....no luck :(

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,710 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

I have not used this software but it lets you recover 2GB for free to see if it works. I would try the file recovery. Partition Recovery may cause the loss of the data if it doesn't work. It will probably take a long time to read the disks.

http://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/other-recovery-software/free-raid1-recovery-software.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users