Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on a graphics card I'm installing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wyckipedia

Wyckipedia

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

Not sure if this is where I post something like this, but we'll see.
So I recently received a Asus GD 7770 graphics card and tried to install it.
When I got it hooked up, my computer beeped at me, 1 long beep and 3 short beeps, and the display didn't show.
So, I though it could be that my power supply isn't enough watts, since the card requires at least 450w and I have 430w. But I'm not so sure.

My question is.. What would I need to make my graphics card work?

CPU: Asus P5N-E SLi
Ram: 2x2gb DDR2
Power supply: Antec Earthwatts 430w

Not sure what else to put, but if you need any other info, I will provide it.
And thank you for your help

Edited by hamluis, 12 February 2014 - 01:45 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

The beep code indicates a video card problem.  Is it seated correctly in the slot?  Also, what video card is it replacing?

Did you connect a PCIe power connector to the card?

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Wyckipedia

Wyckipedia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:36 AM

Yes, I made sure it was seated properly and connected a PCIe power connecter.
And it is replacing a NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

It's possibly the power supply, it can't be ruled out, particularly if the power supply is old.  The Earthwatts is a reasonable quality PSU but they all lose efficiency as capacitors age, etc.  However that is not a hugely power hungry card, just slightly over the level where an external PCIe connector is required.  Do you have the latest BIOS on the motherboard?  The latest version says it fixes compatibility issues with certain AMD GPU's (although they aren't specified).  Flashing the BIOS is at your own risk and there is a small risk of bricking the motherboard if it goes wrong.  It's never happened to me, with hundreds of motherboard flashes, but the risk is there. 

The Asus site has a few references to compatibility problems with some AMD video cards (HD3870's are mentioned).  As it's an old motherboard though, if it's incompatible with a current generation card card, chances are it will never be fixed.

Lastly there is a chance the video card is DOA.  The only way to really know this is to try it on another computer and see if it behaves the same.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Wyckipedia

Wyckipedia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

Hmm. I'm not sure if I do have the latest, but I can definitely try this. And I will try to check things on the sure and try the card in another computer if I can.
I really appreciate the help, though. If something does come up that I will need help with, I'll post again.
I'll try all this later on today. Thank you, again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users