Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 Lock Screen Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:32 AM

I am running a custom built Windows 8.1 machine with a I7 3.2 ghz  quad core processor, a terabyte o hard drive space, and 16 gigs of RAM.  Windows 8.1 is running fine except for one problem.  When I go into system settings I can't change my profile picture or the lock screen image.  I ran a sfc /scannow and found no system errors.  When I try to run the lock screen, I click on browse and it flashes for a second but nothing happens.  I can choose between the images that are shown but can't browse to any other I might want to use. 

I sure would appreciate anyone that has had this problem to give me a suggestion of how to fix it.  This is the only problem I am having.

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

What version of 8.1?  Home or Pro?  sfc /scannow will not fix this problem.  Most likely something or someone changed a registry setting, that changed the policy for changing user settings.  Also are you logging into the computer with a Live account, or a Local account?

#3 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

Perhaps this might help? Grinler wrote quite a few tutorials that might be worth a look through...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/change-account-picture-in-windows-8/

#4 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

I am using Windows 8.1 Pro.  I have looked everyone on the net for an answer.  One answer suggested I updated my video drivers which I did. 

I am not able to change my profile picture or the lock screen.  When it says Browse nothing but a flash of the screen happens.  Nothing.

Thanks for any additional ideas.

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

User Policy is keeping you from changing those items, is most likely the issue. Any third party Computer/Internet Security software installed? Are you logging in with a Microsoft Live account or local?

#6 WillyAtoZ

WillyAtoZ

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

JazzMahn.

I can tell you what worked for me when I could not get my lock screen image to change to either a photo of my choice or even to one of the insidious images provided by my Windows 8.1 system. I simply renamed the SystemData folder to SystemDataOld and, voilà! the problem went away.

First, you will need to have access to hidden files and folders.

So:

Right-click the Windows icon at the far left end of the Taskbar.

Left-click Control Panel. 

Find and left-click on Folder Options

Left-click the View tab at the top of the Folder Options window

Select Show hidden files, folders and drives

Click OK,

Now go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows

Find the SystemData folder and rename it to SystemDataOld or some such. (Note: You may have to take ownership of the SystemData folder in order to accomplish this. This site may help: http://tipsandtricksforum.com/thread-223.html.)

Now try again to reset your lock screen image. It worked for me - it should work for you.

If you check, you will notice that a new SystemData folder has been created. The creation of this new, cleaner folder is what helped fix my problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users