Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast Pro blocking incoming emails

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bdpoop

bdpoop

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:29 AM

Hello

I have a customer who I set up a Vpop3 Enterprise mail server for some time ago.   Its been working fine and they recently updated and paid for the Pro Avast on all computers.  For some reason around the same the mail server stopped recieving any emails.  Also they have one PC that just receives everything directly into an Outlook account and thats not working either.

If you turn off the Mail shield all the emails come flooding in.  Obviously this is not ideal.  Its just possible thier email provider has changed something but they are impossible to talk to. 

I dug around on the Avast site and forum and it seems you need to go into Mail shield settings and Expert settings and turn off SSL encryption but I am a little lost at this stage and dont want to start turning things on or off until I know what the implications are.

I hope someone can perhaps offer me some advice on this.

Thanks

modify_inline.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

I see you have also started a topic here at the avast forms and have been receiving some suggestions. The last one was a link to enabling the Mail Shield SSL scanning when encountering issues after an upgrade.

You also mentioned contacting Avast support and nothing...does that mean you submitted a ticket and they never answered you or did not provide any useful information?

If you did not hear anything, how long ago did you submit your ticket?

I'm not sure how many or if any BC members use Vpop3 Enterprise mail server with avast so you may not get many suggestions here. Same goes at the avast forums since most of their folks are also volunteers and may not have actual hands on experience. Looking around the forums I found several similar topics from last year but no one appeared to get a satisfactory answer so I suspect they don't know either.

I would keep pestering avast Tech Support until you receive a satisfactory answer. In the meantime I will also poke around some more and see if I can find any further information that addresses your issue.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 bdpoop

bdpoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

Thanks.  Yes I did submit a ticket and got the automated response yesterday morning but nothing since.

I just remoted in for the last couple of hours and disabled the SSL scanning on the Vpop  mail server Avast and enabled it on the clients.  This seems to work.  On the machine that has a pop3 direct connection I enabled SSL and deleted all the old account information in Avast which it states are no longer needed.  This also seemed to work.

Not totally sure if I have done this correctly so will keep an eye on it.   Its confusing as they are using a combination of Outlook 2007 and 2010 as well as pop3 and IMAP Via the Vpop3 Enterprise server as well as different versions of Avast.

All was working perfectly until their ISP made some changes and they upgraded the Vpop Server AVast and one of the others.  It was very difficult to pinpoint where the problems were / are

I am hoping to get them all on the same versions of Office and Avast soon and possibly move their mail and broadband away from Talk Talk who are just impossible to deal with.  Doesnt help that they are 250 miles away in London on a not particulary good connection.

Thanks again.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

Not a problem.

Hopefully avast! Tech Support will reply (I know they can be slow) and provide some clarification for the actions you have taken thus far.

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 bdpoop

bdpoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

Hopefully!  Thanks very much for taking the time to help.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

You're welcome.