Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Icon Size

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Karu

Karu

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:07 PM

Hello,

I used to know a way you could re-size the desktop icons without changing the screen resolution. Does anyone remember how to do this.

Thanks,

Karu

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:14 PM

In Display Properties (right-click on desktop, choose Properties), go to Effects tab, there's a choice to "use Large Icons." That's about it, without resizing your whole desktop.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:01 AM

Right click the desktop, select properties.
Click the "Appearance" tab, then the "Advanced" button.
From the dropdown list, select "Icon".
You can use the little up and down arrows to select size. Default is 32.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:09 AM

Whoops - thanx, Hits. I missed that one.

#5 Karu

Karu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:19 AM

Thanks........... :thumbsup:

Karu

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:58 AM

You're welcome. :thumbsup:

#7 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 10:23 AM

If your screen starts getting 'busy' with lots of icons....32 (widgets) is too large, and most people don't run programs via the icon anyway, they read the words under it. I always reset icon size down to 24 on the big screens and 26 on the smaller ones. Then go down the menu from "Icon" on that menu to "Horizontal Size" and reset the text box size from 48 to 60 (widgets). Don't forget to click "Apply" in the lower right hand corner of the window before you close it.

In windows 98 you don't have a lot of choice in text size, but in XP you can go from 8 point type to nine (9) point and get a much more readable screen. :thumbsup:

Even resetting the mouse cursor size to Windows Standard (Large) will help the overall readability of your desktop. It makes the mouse pointer about 50% larger. Much easier to see.

I deal primarily with retired people in my home computer business and they really love the visual enhancements I give them....as outlined above.
It only takes a few minutes to accomplish and the result is well worth the time spent.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear? :flowers:

The Shadow :trumpet:
For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 03:50 PM

I always reset icon size down to 24 on the big screens and 26 on the smaller ones.

I always rename the icons so you can see the whole filename, too. For instance, "My Computer" becomes "Mine." "My Documents" becomes "Docs" and so on. Then I remove the whole mess by hiding them and putting the desktop in my taskbar, leaving a pristine screen background.

#9 Karu

Karu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:07 AM

Thanks for all your great ideas. I especially like the idea of "hiding the whole mess" :thumbsup:

What I was trying to do is make the icons smaller without changing the resolution. There is a way to bring up a different right click menu that had various items you could change.......but dang if I can remember how to do it. I thought it was control, shift, right click......but nope......that doesn't work :flowers:

I think I might just take Herk's suggestion and hide the whole mess. :trumpet:

Thanks again,

Karu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users