Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cryptolocker Virus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Herb Hill

Herb Hill

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

I got the Cryptolocker virus on my PC. Many files have been corrupted. I bought a virus removal tool "Spyhunter" and removed the virus. That did not restore the corrupted files. I found a utility program that lists the corrupted files using a file created by Cryptolocker  somewhere on my PC. I have restored some of the files. Since the file that contains a list of the original corrupted files has not been changed, the program that lists the corrupted files stills shows all of the original corrupted files. Does anyone know where the Cryptolocker generated file that lists the files that were corrupted resides?

Edited by hamluis, 07 February 2014 - 08:53 AM.
Removed formatting, moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:48 PM

Hello -

Sorry to tell you that you have been Scammed -

Please read this page for details http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/513298/which-is-the-best-antivirus-for-windows7-os/page-2#entry3206930
By quietman7

SpyHunter by Enigma Software is a program that was previously listed as a rogue product on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products List because of the company's history of employing aggressive and deceptive advertising. It has since been delisted but in my opinion it is a dubious program which is not very effective compared to others with a proven track record and I would not trust all the detections provided by its scanning engine.

Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), the site owner of BleepingComputer, has also created this tutorial:
CryptoLocker Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

There is a lengthy ongoing discussion in this topic: Cryptolocker Hijack program.

Since this infection is so widespread, rather than have everyone start individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any questions or comments in that thread.

Sorry and Good Luck

#3 Herb Hill

Herb Hill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for the info. I am a first time user and did not realise there was a thread that I should us.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:17 PM

Hi -

There is no problem.

We all just try to help each other around here.

This is the only reason I directed you to those already open topics.

You can ask or add to the topics as you like - :)

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

Does anyone know where the Cryptolocker generated file that lists the files that were corrupted resides?

This info is in the link provided by noknojon...but to ensure you don't miss it.

How to find files (generate a list) that have been encrypted by CryptoLocker
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users